hawthorn fiddling

View previous topic View next topic Go down

hawthorn fiddling

Post  bobby little on Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:55 am

today's clarting aboot Very Happy

bought this a couple of years ago and have been staring dumbly at it since:

so I decided that the two trunks on the right looked mighty cute together but the other two were less groovy and decided to get shot.

dug it up and found this

decided to cut it on the right of the trunk:

and some further fiddling about yielded this:

more fiddling about is needed, but I've not done this much work on a tree in one go and I was hesitant about over doing it.

bobby little

Back to top Go down

Re: hawthorn fiddling

Post  fiona on Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:22 am

Difficult to see where you could take this one - certainly not much for the short-term, so I'd be tempted to do nothing with it now for a good while and see what happens. Longer term? if new buds pop out lower down you have more to work with. OR let the left hand trunk grow as it is a go for literati. OR (more radical) lie the right hand trunk down and try for a raft with the 5 twigs sticking out to the right.

Did you get it in a garden centre/nursery? Is that a graft mark on the rt trunk?

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little on Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:45 am

fiona wrote:Difficult to see where you could take this one - certainly not much for the short-term, so I'd be tempted to do nothing with it now for a good while and see what happens. Longer term? if new buds pop out lower down you have more to work with. OR let the left hand trunk grow as it is a go for literati. OR (more radical) lie the right hand trunk down and try for a raft with the 5 twigs sticking out to the right.

Did you get it in a garden centre/nursery? Is that a graft mark on the rt trunk?

Very Happy aye. Silk purse, sow's ear. Not expecting it to ever win prizes, but learning as I go. Bought it from a blerk for £25. Not a graft mark. There's a couple of buds popping where you can't see them around the back of the left trunk, so I'm quite optimistic about getting some new life to work with.

It was a practice attempt to be honest. I recall a big old debate on here a while back about whether to spend money on good material as a beginner or not risk wasting money on stuff you are likely to knack, so work on cheap stuff til you get the hang of it. I fall on the latter side of the fence, enforced by poverty and expensive school fees. Smile

bobby little

Back to top Go down

hawthorn fiddleing

Post  moyogijohn on Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:38 am

Bobby,,Find yourself 3 smaller trees and make yourself a forest...just a thought...the 2 trees you have look good..got to find a hawthorn now!! take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:19 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum