Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First day of watering by Mother Nature

4 posters

Go down

First day of watering by Mother Nature Empty First day of watering by Mother Nature

Post  Jay Gaydosh Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:52 pm

Outstanding! (in the rain)

Finally got all of my trees out of winter storage. At the moment it is 45*F at the house and Mother Nature is gently watering them. Hope this and the next few days of warmer weather will kick start them into Spring.

Very Happy Jay Very Happy
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

First day of watering by Mother Nature Empty Re: First day of watering by Mother Nature

Post  Hawaiian77 Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:58 pm

Howzit Jay,

45*F is still to cold for me. I'm looking for another blanket!! lol! lol!

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

First day of watering by Mother Nature Empty Re: First day of watering by Mother Nature

Post  Jay Gaydosh Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:01 pm

Just goes to show you, it isn't attitude that is important... it's latitude!
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:14 pm

Ain't neither, ask anyone, Jay, it's location, location, location! I'm about the same lat. as you, but I've been in the rain for six months, and still raining, off and on till the end of May or early June. Depending of course on if it's La Nina or El Nino causing the weather.
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:00 pm

I'd still be very very cautious about leaving anything out doors over night if its been in protection all winter. It doesnt take much of a cold snap to hurt tender newly emerging leaves. Even if the 10 day looks clear Spring time is the most precarious time of year for bonsai. Cold snaps in spring are far different from cold snaps of the same temperature in the fall as the tree is letting go of its cold hardiness it developed through autumn.

Also, rain on pine at this time of year is a bad idea....at least as far as prevention of needle cast fungus is concerned.

Just my 2 cents....... having experienced these things in the past in C. Illinois.

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:57 pm

NeilDellinger wrote:I'd still be very very cautious about leaving anything out doors over night if its been in protection all winter. It doesnt take much of a cold snap to hurt tender newly emerging leaves. Even if the 10 day looks clear Spring time is the most precarious time of year for bonsai. Cold snaps in spring are far different from cold snaps of the same temperature in the fall as the tree is letting go of its cold hardiness it developed through autumn.

Also, rain on pine at this time of year is a bad idea....at least as far as prevention of needle cast fungus is concerned.

Just my 2 cents....... having experienced these things in the past in C. Illinois.

Understood; however, mine have been out of the majority of the wind and the snow, but not out of the cold. They were in a drafty enclosed carport, next to the windows. When it was above freezing for a few days they got watered and when the temps were above 20*F I frequently opened the main door and allowed for soe healthy air exchange. Next year, I plan on leaving the larger and heartier conifer outside all winter and just mulching or burying their pots.

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down