Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Acer Campestre, yamadori

+31
leatherback
Dreamcast
Richard S
Todd Ellis
abcd
fiona
marcus watts
AlainK
Reiner K
yamasuri
Gary Swiech
Poink88
Seth Ellwood
gope
Paul B (Scotland)
pongsatorn.k
my nellie
ogie
ybonsai
Khaimraj Seepersad
Lone
Tom Benda
moyogijohn
Loke Emil
Marija Hajdic
Ravi Kiran
Rob Kempinski
sunip
p@scal
handy mick
landerloos
35 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 7 Empty Re: Acer Campestre, yamadori

Post  Guest Tue May 28, 2013 1:30 pm

I think it is needed to say, that while my trees are real yamadori...trees found, and dug up, and cut back.....the tree you showed me, has nothing at all to do with yamadori, though it has been fieldgrown ....this tree is developed by proffesionel bonsaipeople, and have been repottet in the ground, grown up, and cut back several times, untill this shape.

Kind regards yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:36 am

What has gone on since the Winter of 2011
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 7 Img_2918
The hawthorn is doing well...I did not cut two of the upper branches as far back as I wanted...better safe than sorry......later.....

The pear was a bush to look at earlier.....a Little carving is needed in the top, but I have to wait with that.
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 7 Img_2919
Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:25 pm

The hawthorn from page 5, is now looking like this
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 7 Img_3015
Growing like I hoped it would Smile The tree is leaning towards the viewer, this is why i have kept no branches in the front, only in the top...My plan is, to let the branches further dawn the trunk, grow towards the front, and fill up a little.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:16 pm

Looks great! Can't wait to see it in full bloom Wink
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:31 pm

AlainK wrote:Looks great! Can't wait to see it in full bloom Wink

Thanks Alain

Funny...my husband just said exacly the same thing...no doubt, it will look nice with flowers in a few years....

Buuut...I only have branches on my mind, my goal is to make the tree look nice, and hopefully fairly natural without the leaves.

Lets see...I have my fun Smile 

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:02 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:I think it is needed to say, that while my trees are real yamadori...trees found, and dug up, and cut back.....the tree you showed me, has nothing at all to do with yamadori, though it has been fieldgrown ....this tree is developed by proffesionel bonsaipeople, and have been repottet in the ground, grown up, and cut back several times, untill this shape.

Kind regards yvonne

i think if people are trying to be very accurate as they seem to be here real yamadori can only be a collected tree from a mountain- and a mountain is universally accepted to have an elevation of 600m or more - anything less is a hill Very Happy  - in bonsai terms a tree collected from a hill is just the same as a tree dug up in a garden, a field, a cliff - none of these are remotely close to yamadori trees....most collected lowland trees seem to lack all the visible weathering and apparent age associated with real yamadori too. Even in japan not all mountain collected trees are worthy of the title - the tree must also show sighs of great age, weathering and convey the harsh environment

the term 'collected tree' is probably the most accurate term we could use - i guess 99% of the trees labelled yamadori we see outside japan have never been anywhere near to a mountain and i feel it is a term that should be reserved for truely deserving material and not just any randomly dug up plant material

cheers Marcus

marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Hi Marcus

I did not know a yamadori, is a tree collected in the Mountains...I just thought some yamadori is better than other...I, like so many other people see bonsaimaterial collected in the wild is yamadori, but if it is so...do I not mind call my trees colleced trees, as they dont have the extraodinary quality the truly old trees from the Mountains have.
I can be a problem if we have to explain yamadori contra collected material all the time...but I understand, and thank you for the information

kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:08 pm

That was an interesting point Marcus made - like Yvonne I didn't know there was a difference.  It will be be interesting as I have no doubt trees are being sold as yamadori when they are technically not so.

Last edited by fiona on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:59 pm

In Japan have I picked up this information..."nebari can only be found on japanese acers"...all other trees does not have this name for their nebari

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:53 pm

Hi Everybody

For those of you, who still are new to bonsai, do I have a observation on this hawthorn, you might want to use
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 7 Img_3111

Though the lowest branch already is the the biggest, does the second branch grow stronger than the first ( lowest)branch....this is not wanted, as the lowest branch need to be the strongest, and the other branches slightly weaker towards the top..this way will the tree stay ballanced, and develope taper...

It has been the problem all summer... I am not planning to prune the tree to solve the problem in the future...during the Winter will the tree be repottet for the first time, and here will I prune the roots more on the right side, than under the lowest branch...this way will the tree end up growing ballanced.

Have a nice day...kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:29 am

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:For those of you, who still are new to bonsai, do I have a observation on this hawthorn, you might want to use... ... during the Winter will the tree be repottet for the first time, and here will I prune the roots more on the right side, than under the lowest branch...this way will the tree end up growing ballanced... ...
Yvonne, thank you for sharing your experience once more!
This plan of yours sounds quite rational and much probably will solve the problem of the first branch. But may I ask if you have already used in the past this kind of root pruning one side of the root ball more than the other? I mean do you already have proof/result for your estimations?
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:44 am

Hi Alexandra

Nice to hear from you Again

Yes I have used it before...actully all the time...this new tree is a good exsample, for demonstration.....maybe I only can reduse a little in the strong side this time, as it is a new yamadori, but then will I just take more the year after, untill ballanced....I normaly do this on young seedlings too, after a year or so, when they have gained a Little trunk and strainght.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:09 am

Dear Yvonne, you know I am a great fan of your inventive mind, your spirit to implement your perception and of course your work.
That upside down growing method of yours Very Happy Or your ficus growing in the cold North Very Happy 
Thank you again!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:36 am

Smile 

Back to top Go down

Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 7 Empty yamadori

Post  abcd Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:46 pm

yamadori is not the good term, yamadori is the technic of obtaining , the good term for the tree obtained by this method is : araki.
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:49 pm

Hi abcd

Maybe this is the correct Word...I just used the word common in the West, and did not want to spend a lot of thoughts about this issue...I will call them collected trees in future, no problem
kind regards Yvonne

Last edited by Yvonne Graubaek on Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 am

This hawthorn is showing what i call ballanched Growth
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 7 Img_3118
It is showing all new shots has the same lengd...

It is not because I have done something with the roots, but because I have, with the prunings I made from the beginning, made sure the lowest branches was kept strong....this will again create the wished for taper, and fatter lower branches.

I am pleased with the young tree as it is now...look forward to the repotting...have no idea what I have, and how long it will take before the tree is in a final pot.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:47 am

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:... ...I am pleased with the young tree as it is now... ...
But of course!

Regarding the hawthorn does this have white or dark pink colored flowers, Yvonne?
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:48 am

White Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:24 pm

The two big hawthorns is in pots now...they both had nice dense surfaceroots, thanks to the big flat stones I had placed on the surface.
The roots gave no problem at all, and can go in any pot of my wish in the future.
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 7 Img_4213
I was not really happy about most of the branches on the tree, and have cut it hard back...I probably have lost a year or so in this procces...but as I am new to big trees, and will  just take it from there, and hope I learned something during this summer, when I spend a lot of time studying old hawthorns growing in harsh conditions.

Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 7 Img_4214
This one come accros as a little too dense in the right side...I will study the photo and the tree for a while before taking out branches.
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 7 Img_4215
Happy bonsai Newyear everyone  Smile 

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:13 am

Yvonne, your trees look good! Happy New Year to you too!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:22 am

Hi Yvonne

Stunning trunks, lots of character (especially the semi hollow one).

I'm sure with your skills they will develop into great trees! Please carry on updating this post in the future.

Regards

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi Richard and Todd

Many thanks for nice comments....only time will tell, if the trees become nice in the future, as I am new to big trees...I used to want my trees shohin or kifu...but now I want them big, and it is not easy to transform this shohinteqnik into big trees...Young trees in my garden, witch I have startet to train as shohin and kifu, do I now want to grow big, in a not japanese style, it is like having a new hobby  Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:55 am

Happy New Year, dear Yvonne!
I hope some day I will acquire a small hawthorn like yours. I do like this species a lot!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:15 pm

Many thanks Alexandra, hope you find a hawthorn this year  Smile

Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 7 Img_4318
Have thinned out the branches a little, ( a stone is holding a branch in a desired angle for now). Also have I found a slightly difrent pottingangle, and front...with this new front will the nebari faster become nicer with age, as the tree have fairly strong roots in both sides of the viewingfront ( Black lines)...still hitten in the soil.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next