Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Acer Campestre, yamadori

+31
leatherback
Dreamcast
Richard S
Todd Ellis
abcd
fiona
marcus watts
AlainK
Reiner K
yamasuri
Gary Swiech
Poink88
Seth Ellwood
gope
Paul B (Scotland)
pongsatorn.k
my nellie
ogie
ybonsai
Khaimraj Seepersad
Lone
Tom Benda
moyogijohn
Loke Emil
Marija Hajdic
Ravi Kiran
Rob Kempinski
sunip
p@scal
handy mick
landerloos
35 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 6 Empty Warming up to the winter of 2013

Post  Guest Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:09 pm

My husband and I went to "my" hawthorn area....20 hectares called "the wretchedness"....sand and hawthorns Smile
We found theese trees, and a handfull more, some better, and some worse. I only took theese photos. Some of them are we planning to dig up next winter. They are all big, like the trees from 2011.

Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 6 Img_0622
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 6 Img_0623
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 6 Img_0624
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 6 Img_0625
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 6 Img_0626

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 6 Empty Re: Acer Campestre, yamadori

Post  Gary Swiech Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:50 pm

Those are some big trees. Don't hurt yourself if you do move them.

They look moveable, but I couldn't do it any more because of landscapers disease, 3 bad disks, knees, feet ankles. I used to dig a lot.

My body paid for it in the end. I wish I could go back to the early 70's and know what I know now. Smile

Nice big trunks on those babies.

Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:09 pm

Hi Gary

Yes, we need to be carefull...later this year will we go back to see if they are worth the troubble...I will need to see a nice bonsai in the trees, before we dig them up....this time will we have help, it is already organized.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:13 pm

It sounds to me like you have the project planned well.

May you choose wisely.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:32 am

FINALY was it now time to turn the "upside dawn" pear again, as the second growing season is about to end. The tree had a strong summer, and I look forward to the future work Smile
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 6 Img_1212
The tree stands 34.5 cm tall to the red arrow, witch is the highest living point on the tree, and also the choosen front...from here will I during the next years, grow the new apex.
The trunk is 24 cm wide from the front, and 20 deep.
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 6 Img_1130
A view on the top....the red arrow show the prefered dormant bud for the new apex, the black my second choice.
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 6 Img_1213
The backside.....
My plan is to do a little more carving on both deadwoods while it is still standing firm and rootbound in the pot ( it looks like featherroots has filled the pot). Later will I repot the tree, and try to loose the fungus who lives in the soil.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:24 pm

Yvonne, thank you for the update.
Mostly thank you for sharing your unique techniques! Smile
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:33 pm

It's coming very nice. Interesting technique.
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi Yamasuri and Alexandra

Yes, it is bit funny way to make bonsai....not exacly something I learned from books. I am only used to use this technique, when making shohin...it was my own "heavy thoughts", that brought me to do this, back then Smile ....and this heavy big tree was indeed interesting to do.

I expect, it will only grow the "right" way in the future...no more need to keep it " upside dawn"........ You have no idea how much I look forward to work more on the tree in the future.
I spend the day carving on the burl-deadwood...and it actully look very nice and "burly" now....could be I am satisfied with this.
I have also worked on the toppiece, and this is not a burl....I dont think I f..... it up, so after a few days of thinking on what to do next, will I probably continue with this.
I am hoping to have the deadwood finished before spring, to let it grow nice and old, while the crown is being shaped.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Comming along nicely Yvonne.

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:39 am

Hi, thanks Peter.

The bigger trees, am I not used too, and it will become interesting for me, to see what I can make of the pear, and the other trees from this tread.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:21 am

End of second season for two of the 5 trees, and a group of hawthorns, I show on this topic....

I have decided to remove the topdeadwood on the pear, as two diffrent types of wood on one tree, is one too much....and the burldeadwood win Smile

The hawthorn is standing 45 cm tall now. Two nice branches appeared this year on both sides of the lower trunk...they will be given a lot of intension the next years.
A couple of skinny branches on the top, will be left to grow next season, as they are quit fragile....
a nice branch on the upper midt part of the trunk,not easy to see on the photo, will do wonders in the future.
The tree will be repottet for the first time before spring.
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 6 Img_1321

The campestre is now standing 32 cm. tall.....
The new root look nice Smile......on some of the more bushy cut back parts of the tree, will I next year find new branches...The top has a bud in a very nice direction, I look forward to see it next year....hoping it will not make a looong internode.
Before spring will the tree be back in a small pot.
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 6 Img_1322

Both trees will be let to grow free all season next year ( read " monitored" Smile)

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:24 pm

The acer campestre from page two, was certainly not dug up and kept because of the nice shape.....only was it big, fat and had a nice old bark
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 6 Img_1325
But....a tree it will become Smile
This tree will also be repottet for the first time...being placed a bit difrent for the ballance...I would have wanter a new apex in the direction the arrow is drawn...will look for a useful bud.( also note the low branch, marked with red, in the left side)
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 6 Img_1326
From this backside is the tree comming arround...the huge root is redused, and is better used now....is becomming a part of the taper.
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 6 Img_1327
From this backside is the trunk plain terrible...normally would I have taken the branch marked with red out, and try to fill out the gap with the remaining branches underneath, ..keeping the next in line, as a staying branch.....but the other is better placed, and this I will keep. Also does the taper need a lot of attension
This side will keep me entertained for a while....hoping to give happy updates from time to time Smile

Kind regards yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Reiner K Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:34 pm

Hi Ivone,
are all your new trees from this year addressed?
None received?

er alle dine nye træer i år rettet?
ikke modtaget?

regard Reiner from Hamburg

Reiner K

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi Reiner

I update when I have something new to share, on a tree....not them all, if I dont think so.....

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 16, 2013 11:50 am

Springupdate on this hawthorn....to the red line, witch is going to be a place to reduse the hight in the future, is the tree standing 53 cm. tall
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 6 Img_2512

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu May 16, 2013 2:46 pm

Nice going, Yvonne!
Is this your carving? I like it very much.
I am interested in seeing an update showing how long will you let the new shoots grow.
Thank you!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 16, 2013 3:07 pm

Hi Alexandra

All of this trees history is in this topic, also the carvings Smile

It is not easy to say when the shots is being stopped, as it does depend on how strong the tree grow in the diffrent areas...I often let a shot, growing too strong, grow about 10 - 15 cm, then I take out the tip, this will stop the shot for a while, while the other parts of the tree is growing stronger...soon/later will the stopped shot, make new buds, and continue the growth...when the new buds, has grown a short while....not long, are they remowed, and the original shot will then have to make more buds, whitch I take out again, if the shot is still too strong, compared to the others, on the other parts of the tree.
Eventuly will you have a ballanced tree, shooting even all ower the tree....easy to maintain Smile .

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu May 16, 2013 3:32 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Hi Alexandra
All of this trees history is in this topic, also the carvings Smile... ...
Very Happy Yes, of course!
I knew I have read about W. Baddeley workshop. Now I ran again over the pages and found out I was right Very Happy
Our friend Khaimraj have told me one or two times I am lazy Very Happy
Have a nice evening!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 16, 2013 4:43 pm

A nice evening to you too Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 24, 2013 12:21 pm

The big hawthorn has now been pruned for the first time this year.....
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 6 Img_2611
The photo is a bit tiltet, and does not show a very nice angle...the branches with red, was new from last year, and is one year younger than the backbranches...( see previus photo higher up this side).
All shots, that was long in the internodes, is cut back...they must find a another way to continue, and I take them from there...
The midt part of the tree, has two years old branches, and the top, has been cut back to new....Now is the tree fairly ballanched, and can probably grow freely now ( read monitored)...the soft branches growing in a unwanted direction has been vired...in ten days will I remove the vire again.
I normaly say i dont vire my trees, and is reciving eyes from other bonsaigrowers....but I do vire all softwood, that need this, and have always done so Smile
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 6 Img_2612
This is the backside....looks dense for now....

Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 6 Img_2613
This is how I protect my trees from sunburn...full sun on the crown, and the pot kept in the shade....give really nice results.
Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue May 28, 2013 10:00 am

Yvonne, thanks for the update.

May I ask questions? Very Happy Those pots in the last photo look really big.
Are they the initial pots to use for the trees after collecting?
Why didn't you use wide but shallow pots?
I am always interested in the way you think about cultivation....

Thank you!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 28, 2013 10:35 am

Hi Alexandra

I knew I was going to collect big trees, and I bought big pots for the use...having them ready before collecting.
I did not know how big a pot they would need, and would not like to have a too small pot.
The slim tree has been moved to a wider pot, from what is was in from the beginning, I could have cut off a lot of rim from the bucket, but in this case was it not needed, as the tree has no low branches.
the fat tree has been in this pot all the time, I did not dare to repot to a smaller yet, maybe next winter.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue May 28, 2013 11:41 am

In fact, I would like to have your opinion on comparing this shallow grow box to a deep pot.Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 6 Trident-in-box-bt64-p20
photo of a Trident maple right after it was dug from the field, shown at Bonsai Bark
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 28, 2013 1:01 pm

Hi Alexandra

I wish it was my tree Smile the trainingpot look perfect.
I prefer all my startingpots as small and low as possible....some times is it not possible to use a low, the root will have to develope, and big roots have to be cut back, and be pruned first.
When I repot the big hawthorn, will It go in a trainingpot, as small as possible....but i dont know the roots yet.
On the slim hawthorn am I expecting to have a usefull rootdevelopement, ready for a bonsaipot...but i will eventully see.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue May 28, 2013 1:12 pm

I wish the roots develop as appropriate to the best of your design and look forward to the updates.
Thanks Yvonne.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next