Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Styling help please (san jose juniper)

+3
JimLewis
Billy M. Rhodes
Neil Jaeger
7 posters

Go down

Styling help please (san jose juniper) Empty Styling help please (san jose juniper)

Post  Neil Jaeger Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:11 pm

I still look at this tree and can't figure out a good plan. On a small needle juniper like this do you try to form pads?

I think this should be the front.
Styling help please (san jose juniper) Sdc12010

The back.
Styling help please (san jose juniper) Sdc12110

Its hard to see, so i drew a line showing the trunk line.
Styling help please (san jose juniper) Sanjos11

Another showing trunk line. The blue circle is where the chop scar is.
Styling help please (san jose juniper) Sdc12111

Is my best option just staying with the classic "triangle" foliage shape? Or should i try to make pads? Any help would be GREATLY apprechiated.

Thank you,

Neil

Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Styling help please (san jose juniper) Empty Re: Styling help please (san jose juniper)

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:31 pm

Yes you can develop "sort of" pads, they will not look like Shimpaku, but.

However, I think the trunk line is too abrupt, sharp. I would suggest another line, if you can find it.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Styling help please (san jose juniper) Empty Re: Styling help please (san jose juniper)

Post  JimLewis Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:17 pm

I'd suggest something a bit more gentle:

Styling help please (san jose juniper) Jun12
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  creekfield Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:22 pm

Very nice! I like your look, Jim.

creekfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:20 pm

Thank you very much for your responses. I think the tree was chopped then the "leader" was wired to the "trunk" which made the abrupt turn. I may be able to wire the "leader" up alittle more to help with the look Jim had in idea. Just ready to work on my trees. Our weather is still cold and our big Plantasia is the end of the month and im hoping to work on the tree at our booth. Confused

Thanks again,

Neil
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  flor1 Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:36 pm

Befor worrying about trying to form a triangle or pads take a look at a lot of tree's in the woods. You'll be surprized how many have neither. Most of the time in my own opinion bonsai should look like the trees that you see.

flor1

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:18 am

Hi Neil,

I'd say you have a tree with the basic styling already in place. You don't have to reinvent the wheel. While I do see a prominent left lower branch, I don't see one on the right that is as prominent. You can however wire a good thick branch on the right side. What is needed is thinning the tree. Remove unwanted branches and sprouts so that the tree grows in the branches that you have identified. Once that is done you can go ahead and settle for the basic triangular shape that is almost there needing simple refinement and Voila you'll have a good bonsai.

You have not mentioned the size of the tree. If it is under 10 inches you can forget about the pads. If the tree is larger then you can give pads a shot.

Regards
Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:06 am

Hi Neil,

I have a similar tree 'under construction', a couple of years further down the line from what you show here. I've asked about it on here before - here's the thread if it's of interest. I think a similar design would work for your tree (though that's not to say there aren't better things you could do than my ideas!).

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t2302-san-jose-juniper

Tom
Tom
Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down