Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone tried working with Palm trees

+5
Mangku
JimLewis
Billy M. Rhodes
Robert J. Baran
Randy_Davis
9 posters

Go down

Anyone tried working with Palm trees Empty Anyone tried working with Palm trees

Post  Randy_Davis Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:37 pm

Just wondering if anyone has tried to Miniaturize or otherwise work with any Palm trees? Not a design candidate but a miniature oasis might lookk pretty cool.

Randy
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Anyone tried working with Palm trees Empty Anyone Try Working With Palm Trees

Post  Robert J. Baran Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:23 pm

Sago (Cycas revoluta) or Rhapis (Rhapis excelsa) palms, yes. But they are more as accessory plants.

True palms (Phoenix, Cocos, Raphia, Sabal, Roystonea, etc.), no. Too large and they don't produce actual branches.

Take off the bottom fronds of small Norfolk Island pines (Araucaria heterophylla) to get a palm tree effect for a tropical saikei.
Robert J. Baran
Robert J. Baran

Back to top Go down

Anyone tried working with Palm trees Empty Re: Anyone tried working with Palm trees

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:25 pm

True Palms are monocots and can't be pruned.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Anyone tried working with Palm trees Empty Re: Anyone tried working with Palm trees

Post  Randy_Davis Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:50 pm

Robert J. Baran wrote:Sago (Cycas revoluta) or Rhapis (Rhapis excelsa) palms, yes. But they are more as accessory plants.

True palms (Phoenix, Cocos, Raphia, Sabal, Roystonea, etc.), no. Too large and they don't produce actual branches.

Take off the bottom fronds of small Norfolk Island pines (Araucaria heterophylla) to get a palm tree effect for a tropical saikei.

Yes, they don't produce branches, their palms! and don't fit the traditional bonsai design criteria. I'm more intrested in miniaturization. Phoenix carariensis (Canary Island Date Palm) will frond reduce (lol). I had one for a number of years when I was in California and managed to get fronds to 12 inches or less from their natural 10-12 feet in lengh. I'm working on one now that I've had a number of years and boy in container culture they are darn slow at getting trunk height and the root's are a pain and require a deeper pot but fun to see what can be done with them none the less. I'm also working with a Mexican fan palm (Washingtonia robusta) that is just starting to show a decent size trunk and I have managed to get the fans down to the size of a dinner plate from the usual 6 feet across. I've always thought it might be nice to see a clump of Mediterranean fan palm (Chamaerops humulis) minaturized too.
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:55 pm

Best "palm" bonsai I ever created was with a small Nandina domestica.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mangku Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:37 pm

Hai, Randy as you see on my profile picture, is this one of kind of palm you mean? Coconut tree it is one of my collection its height only 10 cm, I have some cycas in smalll size and in small pot, next time I'll post its picture

regard

Mangku
Anyone tried working with Palm trees Dsc01110
Mangku
Mangku

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:02 am

JimLewis wrote:Best "palm" bonsai I ever created was with a small Nandina domestica.
Not a "palm" bonsai Jim. Its a member of the Berberis family.

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:08 am

Yuji Yoshimura's book "The Art of Bonsai" depicts an old cycad on page 110.

Also,more detailed description of training of cycads can be found on pages 402 & 403 in Bonsai Techniques II by John Naka. He goes into some detail about how/when to prune and divide sago palms.

Wow, I surprised myself there. Strange how one can just remember seeing something like that years ago, then pull the right book off the shelf.

Hope that is helpful.
Neil Very Happy

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:34 am

Mangku wrote:Hai, Randy as you see on my profile picture, is this one of kind of palm you mean? Coconut tree it is one of my collection its height only 10 cm, I have some cycas in smalll size and in small pot, next time I'll post its picture

Mangku,

Yes!!! that's exactly the kind of material that i'm talking about. We see so many traditional things that it's nice to mix it up a little and see some non-traditional but intresting things. It appears that your tree is old. It has a very nice exteded trunk. It should be amazing as the years go by.

Randy
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:39 pm

will baddeley wrote:
JimLewis wrote:Best "palm" bonsai I ever created was with a small Nandina domestica.

Which is EXACTLY why I had quotation marks around th word "palm." Sheesh!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:16 pm

JimLewis wrote:
will baddeley wrote:

Which is EXACTLY why I had quotation marks around th word "palm." Sheesh!

My post was added for the benefit of those who might not understand "quotation marks" Jim. Perhaps "style" would have been better?

Back to top Go down

Post  GerhardGerber Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Hi

I've been tempted at times, I've seen many fan-leaf and a date palm that's common here growing in pots.

From what I've seen the "secret" is simply planting then in the worst, poorest soil you can find......and water it. Very Happy

Cheers
Gerhard

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:24 pm

Randy,

we have a palm down here [ name unknown ] common as dirt that will keep reproducing itself if the head is cut. Will see if I can get an image for you to see.

Just as an oddity - coconut trees sometimes grow 2 or 3 heads.

I am not sure if I would ever bonsai a coconut tree - fun to look at though [ thanks Mangku - your handle would translate to Mangrove Ku or Ku from the Mangrove - in Trini-dialect ]

Oh Randy here is one for you - a Bonsai-ed sensitive plant - Mimosa pudica. Just pruned one, if it survives the pruning, I will send you an image.
Later.
Khaimraj

* Thanks for the Hackberry images again.
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:28 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Randy,

we have a palm down here [ name unknown ] common as dirt that will keep reproducing itself if the head is cut. Will see if I can get an image for you to see.

I am not sure if I would ever bonsai a coconut tree - fun to look at though [ thanks Mangku - your handle would translate to Mangrove Ku or Ku from the Mangrove - in Trini-dialect ]

Oh Randy here is one for you - a Bonsai-ed sensitive plant - Mimosa pudica. Just pruned one, if it survives the pruning, I will send you an image.
Later.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj,

I'd love to see your sensitive plant. I used to have a few of them when I was just a kid in my dad's orchid house and they always amused me with their folding leaves. I'm always on the lookout for new species and cultivars of trees made into bonsai for the ABS reference image library. Anyone wishing to donate a pic of a tree that is not in the library is always encouraged to send me a copy and I'll log it into the library.
On another note, in my web wandering this morning I found a pic of a bonsai'd Celtis o. that you might be intrested in seeing. here's the link.

http://jimsmithbonsai.com/Plant%20Info%20Pages/HACKBERRY%20116.htm

Randy
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mangku Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:08 am

I am not sure if I would ever bonsai a coconut tree - fun to look at though [ thanks Mangku - your handle would translate to Mangrove Ku or Ku from the Mangrove - in Trini-diale

Its rarely to find coconut trees with 2 or 3 heads, I have a coconut tree with 2 heads but its new, I just got it 4 monts ago. a friend who live in East Java have coconut tree with 5 heads. Many people here in Indonesia try to plant coconut trees in small pot, they try to make coconut tree as small as possible
but it is very difficult, some failed, only a little sucsess.
My full honorble name is " Imam Mangku Dermawan " its mean " a Leader of Philanthropist ". Old people in my tribe give a honorable name to a new bridegroom as to differ between married man and bachelor or not mary yet. So, people in my tribe call me "Mangku" as my nickname, and " Nai Mangku "
for my wife. Thanks Khaimraj Seepersad for your serious attention on my name king king king
Mangku
Mangku

Back to top Go down

Post  handy mick Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:54 am

What about a date palm?
Just a sugestion.
Mick

handy mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down