Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another ID please

2 posters

Go down

Another ID please Empty Another ID please

Post  Jim Doiron Fri May 01, 2009 10:41 pm

Hello all, I recovered this from my neighbors property line. She was having someone come in and rip everything out so I went ahead and dug it up without seeing it leafed out now I have no real idea what I have. I searched through books and on-line id sites but couldn't really get down to a solid answer, the closest I could come was some form of elm. The wood seems prone to rot but it's budding back like mad which is a good sign bonsai-wise but the growth pattern (internode distance) and leaf size seems a little problematic. Any thoughts? Thanks

Another ID please Dsc_0310

Another ID please Dsc_0311
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Another ID please Empty Re: Another ID please

Post  Randy_Davis Fri May 01, 2009 10:45 pm

Hi John,

Looks like common American hackberry (Celtis occidentalis) to me. One good way to get an idea on elm is closely looking at the leaf where it joins the "leaf peitole". On elms one side of the leaf is shorter than the other where it joins the peitole.
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Doiron Fri May 01, 2009 11:51 pm

Thanks John, that is great to hear then, I have always loved hackberry bonsai and, if that is the case, never mind my concerns on the growth. The large hole in the front is really nice (to me anyway) and I think all I need to do is get some root growth a little higher up and I should have something to work with...in a year or five. Thanks also on the info on the elms, it's those little details like that that I am short of knowledge on.
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum