Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Bonsai Day honoring Saburo Kato- May 14th

5 posters

Go down

World Bonsai Day honoring Saburo Kato- May 14th Empty World Bonsai Day honoring Saburo Kato- May 14th

Post  Chris Cochrane Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:41 pm

Visiting the (USA) National Bonsai & Penjing Museum calendar of events, I was surprised (but pleased) to see:
Open House: World Bonsai Day
May 14, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
National Bonsai & Penjing Museum
The National Bonsai & Penjing Museum is pleased to participate
in the first annual World Bonsai Day, created by the World Bonsai
Friendship Federation (WBFF). This event honors the memory of Mr.
Saburo Kato, a bonsai master and founder of WBFF, who believed that
bonsai has the power to unite people by acting as a bridge to
international friendship and peace. Enjoy curator-led tours hourly from
11:00 am to 3:00 pm, continuous demonstrations, and drawings for
trees. Admission and all events are free.
Can we plan an event for IBC honoring Mr. Kato & his vision? I haven't the foggiest notion of what that might be, but his ideals seem ours in extending friendship & peace internationally.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

World Bonsai Day honoring Saburo Kato- May 14th Empty World Bonsai Day honoring Saburo Kato- May 14th

Post  Robert J. Baran Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:37 pm

For the newer members who did not know much about Kato-san, please see http://www.phoenixbonsai.com/JYNBioSK.html .

This grand master was born on May 15, 1915. World Bonsai Day is the Second Saturday of May, which this year is the 14th, close enough to honor this great man.

Robert J. Baran
Bonsai Researcher and Historian
Robert J. Baran
Robert J. Baran

Back to top Go down

World Bonsai Day honoring Saburo Kato- May 14th Empty Re: World Bonsai Day honoring Saburo Kato- May 14th

Post  Guest Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:41 pm

Idea: Everybody who has pictures and/or a history about Saburo Kato, could share it in a thread on that day in remembrance of Kato-san.

Regards
Morten Albek

Back to top Go down

World Bonsai Day honoring Saburo Kato- May 14th Empty Re: World Bonsai Day honoring Saburo Kato- May 14th

Post  fiona Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:23 pm

That's a good start, Morten. I have in my head that Kato-san was a man of action so perhaps we could also do something a bit more active like work on a favourite tree that day and post a photo on a dedicated thread.

I very much like the thought of a World Bonsai Day and have decided that as I will be riding a 72mile Sportive that day, I will do so wearing a specially created cycle jersey. The design is as I write a work in progress, but one of the many good aspects of being a college lecturer is you can set these things up as a competition among your students. The legend will read: "A bonsai is not just for life; bonsai IS life" Or somesuch.

Any other bonsai-cyclists out there care to come on board with this one as the Scot in me realises it gets cheaper the more we order.

Good spot, Chris. ThumbsUp
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Sat May 14, 2011 3:32 pm

This is World Bonsai Day... and the World Bonsai Friendship Federation encourages us to think of international friendship. Let's support one another and think of community friends such as WBFF founder Saburo Kato. Lets think of IBC & personal bonsai friends past & present who connect us along with our bonsai enthusiasm to an enriched life.

Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Sat May 14, 2011 3:43 pm

David Fukumoto graciously allowed re-printing of an early rendition of Mr. Kato's philosophy that envisions world friendship through bonsai...
"BONSAI NO KOKORO"
(The Spirit & Philosophy of Bonsai)
An address by Saburo Kato of Japan

All of you here with an interest in bonsai have been "chosen by bonsai." We are united in the brotherhood of bonsai. It's wonderful to gather together. In Japan bonsai has an ancient history born of nature. Bonsai is enlightenment and brings peace. It is well known and appreciated. It's the duty of all of us that love bonsai to keep alive this "torch of peace."

People who love bonsai appreciate the beauty of nature and plant trees in small containers. In doing so, they learn from nature and learn a philosophy of life. Even a person who doesn't understand bonsai can appreciate and be moved by its beauty. The power of bonsai is in its ability to portray the utmost beauty of nature. This is the goal for all who grow bonsai. There are three important things to consider.

First, the roots. When looking at an old tree, the roots form the foundation and gives strength. This is impressive and inspiring. Strong roots of large tree protect other smaller trees in a flood or a storm. These firmly rooted trees give us a feeling of stability and security. In the case of a bonsai, this should also be true.

Second, the trunk and the way it's formed. In the case of a solitary tree, its especially important as to how the trunk emerges from the roots and the rising taper that it develops. After many years the aged characteristics and bark appear and you can sense the added character and personality of each tree.

Third, the branches. These face the sky and are balanced and must have sunlight to flourish. Because branches and leaves are growing strongly, beautiful flowers can bloom. Even though growing vigorously and flowers are blooming, you must not be complacent and must be very diligent in the care of your plants. This care is important.

Everyone here has gathered together from distant places. In each of your countries you have mountains, rivers, woods and forests. These are beautiful scenes to inspire you. Choose the most beautiful examples for your bonsai. Do not just copy anything. Rather, make your bonsai like the best parts of nature.

To raise bonsai it is very important to learn the strong and weak points of each plant. Raising bonsai is like raising children. Be a teacher and a guide but with patience and loving care. Treat your plants as you do your family. I'm sure that each of you will also be able to create and grow beautiful bonsai.

Bonsai is a living thing in the roots and even in the leaves. Every day that you are attending your bonsai, although the plant cannot speak to you, you'll sense that the plant is trying to tell you something. You'll one day know a plant is asking for water or fertilizer. When you come to that stage, you'll have developed a close bond. Bonsai responds to your love and becomes like honest friends with no human falsehood or betrayals.

Bonsai are loyal if you water and fertilize regularly with loving care. Life is more meaningful when we attend these little plants. We learn the essence and dignity of life! Even the life of a bonsai is older than us. So bonsai must be passed on to the next generation to preserve the life in the tray. This is important.

Bonsai is a god-given gift to man. This form of nature is closest to man and portrays the drama of life. Bonsai is nature without an end. So those who grow bonsai have a responsibility to be diligent and a duty to continue to carry on. In conclusion, I hope that the art of bonsai will never die and will keep the torch of peace burning throughout the world. I hope closer and deeper friendships will tie us together.

The above essay was translated and edited from a presentation by Saburo Kato of Japan presented at the International Bonsai Congress at the Sheraton-Waikiki Hotel in Honolulu, Hawaii on July 6, 1980. First published and copyrighted in 1983 by Fuku-Bonsai in the FUKU-BONSAI REVIEW; Fall 1983 issue.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Lone Sat May 14, 2011 4:18 pm

["BONSAI NO KOKORO"
(The Spirit & Philosophy of Bonsai)
An address by Saburo Kato of Japan

No one could speak about bonsai better than mr. Saburo Kato.

I was honoured when I saw mr kato for the first time in Münich in 2001. I didn't know nothing of him until that day when he was on the stage all day leading workshops. And after that he sat down and gave time to all the bonsai entusiasts and gave autografs.
I remember a person asked him if he wasn't tired after such a long day, a man in his age, and he answared: "no, when I do bonsai I'm not old, but tomorrow my body tells me, I am old".

It was such a pleasure to watch him work. Such a little man and yet so big.

Have been in his garden Mansai-en and seen his work.

Honoured be my bonsai hero Saburo Kato.
Lone
Lone
Lone

Back to top Go down

Post  ShohinDude Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:45 pm

Very late here, but please excuse...
I met Kato Sensei twice.
He was by far one of the most impressive personalities I have met involved in Bonsai.
His impression on Bonsai going World Wide is huge!
He was one of the first Bonsai masters in Japan to believe that Bonsai will spread WW eventually.

Personally, I was highly impressed by his very humble and down to earth approach on a hefty white bloke who suddenly appeared from nowhere.

RIP dear Sir.

As said...excuse me being so late on this.

Ta,
M

ShohinDude

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi M'... Your thoughts are widely shared and felt. I should have removed the thread as an Announcement shortly after the May 14th "Saburo Kato Day," but hoped others might notice & even comment as you have. Perhaps, the IBC Moderators will allow it to linger, yet. If not, it has had a good, long run as an Announcement... probably due to our sharing the bonsai spirit of peace & friendship.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down