Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Since I can't live in the desert any more . . .

+7
Mike Jones
Bob Pressler
Jesse
moyogijohn
jupp
my nellie
JimLewis
11 posters

Go down

desert - Since I can't live in the desert any more . . . Empty Since I can't live in the desert any more . . .

Post  JimLewis Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:54 pm

I brought it here (kinda). These 4 little junipers were never going to amount to decent mame, so I put them together in what I suppose is a saikei.

Aside from the junipers, the Hens and Chickens (Sempervivum) were the closest thing I have to desert plants around here in this humid world I'm in now.

Comments welcomed. This is still a work in progress.

desert - Since I can't live in the desert any more . . . Landsc10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

desert - Since I can't live in the desert any more . . . Empty Re: Since I can't live in the desert any more . . .

Post  my nellie Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:02 pm

That rock looks like those like some mountains in Arizona, I think.... as I have seen them in "Arizona Highways" magazine.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

desert - Since I can't live in the desert any more . . . Empty Re: Since I can't live in the desert any more . . .

Post  jupp Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:13 pm

very nice work
jupp
jupp

Back to top Go down

desert - Since I can't live in the desert any more . . . Empty since i can,t live in the desert anymore

Post  moyogijohn Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:09 pm

JIM,, That looks really good!! something different from you i think..start showing your bonsai again ok.. what kind of stumps are you working on??? take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:16 pm

Thank you for posting this. I have been planning on doing something similar in the coming months. I hope it turns out even half as good.
Jesse
Jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:16 pm

Looks pretty similar to parts of the Mohave desert. Nice job.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:28 pm

Really like it Jim, tells a story.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:59 pm

Jesse wrote:Thank you for posting this. I have been planning on doing something similar in the coming months. I hope it turns out even half as good.

Many thanks.

But you probably just have to go out your doorway and head south to see the real thing!

Thanks all for the kind words. I was getting a bit tired of the "serious side" of bonsai. It takes me back to my days at Arizona State College (now University) in Tempe and visiting my mother in Prescott, AZ.

(the picture of jackie and me -- my avatar -- was taken on the south rim of the Grand Canyon. We try to get back there every 3-4 years.)
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:05 pm

Hehehehe Arizona you said!
I got a dead centre!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:17 pm

From some reason it reminds me of a yucca brevifolia or joshua tree scene out there. Love it!!

Neil
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert J. Baran Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:18 am

When I lived in the Kingman area (2003-2005, northwest Arizona) and visited the Joshua Tree spreads near there -- the Hualapai Valley Joshua Trees to the north and east from Lake Mead to the Grand Canyon and the Joshua Forest Parkway northwest of Wickenburg along Highway 93 -- I toyed with the idea of making a Joshua saikei using small junipers...

Your work in progress takes me back there. Very nice. I like the rock on the left with its vertical striations slightly moving to the right towards a point above the center of the composition. The Sempervivum are wonderfully to scale and color.

These are a nice break from the "serious side" which sometimes gets too much attention.

My wife Shirley who I met in the Kingman area just saw the picture and said it looks "cool," also.

Robert
Robert J. Baran
Robert J. Baran

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:13 pm

Jim,

I love to head to southern Utah because it is very similar to what you have created there and I love the beauty of the desert.

------------

Neil Jaeger wrote:From some reason it reminds me of a yucca brevifolia or joshua tree scene out there. Love it!!

Neil

I'm a huge fan of Yuccas. I have several of them planted in my yard of a few different varieties--two of them are Joshua trees actually. I live up in north-central Utah where it we have our cold, snowy winters but with the right soil, etc., many of the yuccas can handle the cold just fine.
Jesse
Jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:14 pm

right on... my first thought was arizona too...
my brother lives in phoenix and i love it there in the winter and hate it in the summer
(unless i can get up to sedona)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

desert - Since I can't live in the desert any more . . . Empty Too much praise ;)

Post  Wander Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:20 am

Since everyone else is saying nice things, let me be the jerk who critiques. I think your proportion is off between the rock(mountain) and the junipers. Either they are much larger than the plants I'm familiar with, or the rock is much smaller than I imagine it to be.

That said, it looks great! An absolute keeper.

Wander

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:37 pm

I think your proportion is off between the rock(mountain) and the junipers. Either they are much larger than the plants I'm familiar with, or the rock is much smaller than I imagine it to be.

Of course it is out of proportion.  Bonsai is not an exact replication of nature -- it can't be or we couldn't show many/most trees because their leaves weren't in proportion to their height.

Bonsai -- as I have always understood it -- expresses the essence of nature.

That said, it looks great! An absolute keeper.

desert - Since I can't live in the desert any more . . . Desert11

Thanks. I think you understood all the time.   <g> (I hate "nice tree" posts that don't offer something to the maker.) The lighting was much better in my first shot (top of the thread) than in this one. The light at the Expo made a flash mandatory and everything looks flat.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down