2009 Kusamono

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 2009 Kusamono

Post  Kev Bailey on Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:59 am

Lovely Kusamono.

The flowering ones are Rhodohypoxis varieties. There are lots lof lovely dwarf Hostas. Just Google "dwarf hostas" with the quotes and you should find many nurseries that can provide you, or simply click on my site in my signature. The grass is Hachonechloa macra 'Aureola' and the little succulent is probably a Jovibarba or if not, a Sempervivum.

Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Kusamono 2009

Post  bonsaisr on Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:51 pm

As I understand it, according to Kora Dalager & other authorities, kusamono is a tray landscape of a collection of herbaceous plants, although it may include a tree seedling. It can be the focus of a display, instead of a bonsai. A single potted accent plant is properly a shitakusa. It is supposed to be displayed in a low unobtrusive pot on a flat slab or coaster, and complement the bonsai, which is the center of attention. The shitakusa reflects the season of the year, the habitat of the bonsai, or the theme of the display. One of those miniature hostas would be a perfect complement to a Korean hornbeam. There is some resistance among purists to using tropical shitakusa, but they would be perfect for tropical bonsai. How about a micro-mini sinningia with a Brazilian rain tree (except during an exhibit, you would have to change it every morning, since they are terrarium plants)?
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Reiner Goebel on Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:30 am

I think Iris got it right. Strictly speaking, these are accent plants, not tray landscapes.

Reiner Goebel

Back to top Go down

Post  Penjing on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:08 pm

Pots from Victor Harris:

Penjing

Back to top Go down

Post  mnguic on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:13 pm

Hello everyone. I'm new at this forum and I thought I pitch in my 3 cents worth. I find the Japanese terminology a little confusing until I read Kora Dalager's article "Shitakusa Versus Kusamono". According to the author, a kusamono can be a single plant or a combination of plants. What differentiates it from a shitakusa which compliments a bonsai is that a kusamono IS the display. In short, it is the "top dog" and Penjing's little gems fit that description perfectly.

Here's a link to Kora Dalager's enlightening article http://www.snowcrest.net/windowboxnursery/articles/kora.htm

Cheers.
Michael

mnguic

Back to top Go down

Post  Penjing on Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:12 am

Same hosta "Teeny weeny bikini" with much more flowers:

And Rhodohypoxis "Lilly jean" in tokoname pot:

Penjing

Back to top Go down

Kusamono

Post  Gæst on Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:12 am

Rob Kempinski wrote:Nice photographs of accent plants. Have you tried mixing different species in the same pot? They might be a bit more artistic.

It depends very much on how the kusamono is used. As bonsai accent the kusamono (grasses in a pot) or shitakusa (flowers in a pot), have to be much understated in its expression, not taking over the scene, but just supporting the bonsai it is interacting with.
Planting more plants together may overdo the expression, unless very carefully performed, or accompanying a very expressive tree and free informal display.
If the kusamono or shitakusa is used alone, much more freedom is present of course.

Many beutifull accents posted :-)

Best regards
Morten Albek

Last edited by morten albek on Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding comment)

Gæst

Back to top Go down

Post  Penjing on Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:36 am

Many thanks Morten.

Yes, i prefer simplicity. Minimalism to baroque Embarassed

The best is a plant with a single flower: one pot, one plant, one flower. A very emotional serenity emerges from such a composition. I am working on it.

Penjing

Back to top Go down

Post  Penjing on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:49 pm

Pandora's box in a Tokoname pot

Penjing

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:28 pm

Sublime!

John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Klaudia & Martin on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:37 am

Wink wonderfull plants and pics .... as ever.

....and you have got a new avatar.....looks like you have married a few days ago......

kind regards and congratulations

Klaudia & Martin

Klaudia & Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penjing on Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:26 am

Many thanks.

Penjing

Back to top Go down

Post  Penjing on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:12 pm

In bloom since a couple of days

Penjing

Back to top Go down

Post  Penjing on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:36 pm

I love this one.
Shapes reminds me of chickens or ducks hanging in the window of an Asian food store Laughing

Penjing

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:48 pm

Lovely Dicentra Spectabilis Alba, or White Bleeding Hearts. Now I'll never be able to see them as hearts, just hanging Chickens! Wink

Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy on Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:03 pm

Penjing wrote:I love this one.
Shapes reminds me of chickens or ducks hanging in the window of an Asian food store Laughing

If you turn them upside down and pull them slightly apart they look like an alien sitting in a space ship. Try it if you remember next year. Smile

Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Penjing on Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:22 am

Laughing Really funny flower

Penjing

Back to top Go down

Kusamono 2009

Post  Dave Martin on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:23 am

To add to what Smithy said, the alternative name for Dicentra is 'Lady in a boat' or 'Lady in a bath'.

Last edited by Dave Martin on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistake in leaving out name of plant)

Dave Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Penjing on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:26 am

For information , the alternative name in french is : Heart of Marie "Coeur de Marie"

Penjing

Back to top Go down

Post  Penjing on Sun May 16, 2010 8:00 am

A pic of my garden

Penjing

Back to top Go down

Post  Penjing on Sun May 23, 2010 6:22 pm

Penjing

Back to top Go down

Post  Penjing on Thu May 27, 2010 4:25 pm

An other

Penjing

Back to top Go down

Post  Penjing on Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:18 am

Hello cheers

Penjing

Back to top Go down

Post  martin kolacia on Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:48 pm

cute photos ThumbsUp

martin kolacia

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger on Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:19 pm

Will someone please tell me what this is? It is beautiful!!!!!

[quote="Penjing"]

Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:12 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum