Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

English Elm Sucker!

+21
RKatzin
F. Waheedy
Lee Brindley
jonathan e
Rob Kempinski
p@scal
littleart-fx
my nellie
Jonny D
DaveV.
moyogijohn
Brett Summers
gman
Pavel Slovák
Russell Coker
MikeG
Storm
Paul B [Swindon]
Cordon
fiona
Harry Harrington
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

English Elm Sucker! - Page 2 Empty Re: English Elm Sucker!

Post  my nellie Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:36 am

Beginner here! More info needed! Smile

Will you please, Rob and Will, answer a question regarding the above displayed views...

I wonder, does this risk of potential death occuring in the space of trunk in between the two curved holes, have application to other species except Elms (...though Will has an objection here) and Junipers?

Thank you.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:37 am

If there is a risk of this area dying out because the root is removed, replacing it with new roots by root grafting will solve this problem. Discussed with pine as an object in another recent thread https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t3057-scots-pine
The method is the same. I think the root is too disurbing to keep. Another solution is to let this area die out and add more deadwood. I expect (?) there are supporting roots enough to feed the other branches that are not placed above this root in question.
Regards Morten

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:23 am

To lose this root will probably kill the middle section of this tree. The deadwood would then be "in your face" and not a very good design decision in my opinion. I think deadwood is better if it ispartially out of site or off to one side, so that it catches the eye but you have to follow it round to view it. The root is not good at the moment but it could be split and bent to the left to echo the initial movement of the trunk.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:42 am

Hello Alexandra. I hope Harry doesn't mind us going off at a slight tangent on his thread? There are a number of species that cope well with this type of bark and cambium removal. Elms, Larch, Maple, Yew and Hornbeam, will all callous very well. Timing and vigour are important though. Spring to early Summer is the best time.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:11 am

will baddeley wrote:To lose this root will probably kill the middle section of this tree. The deadwood would then be "in your face" and not a very good design decision in my opinion. I think deadwood is better if it ispartially out of site or off to one side, so that it catches the eye but you have to follow it round to view it. The root is not good at the moment but it could be split and bent to the left to echo the initial movement of the trunk.

I agree with you that the deadwood will be in the middle, unless the tree is turned slightly, which might be possible. I see no problem with that though depending on how it is styled. Matter of taste maybe.
And not a solution, if the root problem is solved.
Regards
Morten

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:48 am

+1 to my "library"! Thank you Will!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Harry Harrington Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:54 pm

*GULP*
This all reminds me of being 18 and buying a brand new car. I was so pleased with myself, real nice thing it was. My ex's father though was an insecure man and after looking over the car in silence for 10 minutes, he looked under the bonnet(hood) at the engine and proudly announced 'its got a plastic dipstick'.
Now, I knew the dipstick was plastic coated metal but its exact composition wasn't of much interest to me. But it made him feel better to find 'something wrong' and I didn't bother to reply.
Ever since then I've thought of similar moments such as these, as 'dipstick moments'.

Harry

Harry Harrington

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Brindley Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:06 pm

Harry Harrington wrote:*GULP*
This all reminds me of being 18 and buying a brand new car. I was so pleased with myself, real nice thing it was. My ex's father though was an insecure man and after looking over the car in silence for 10 minutes, he looked under the bonnet(hood) at the engine and proudly announced 'its got a plastic dipstick'.
Now, I knew the dipstick was plastic coated metal but its exact composition wasn't of much interest to me. But it made him feel better to find 'something wrong' and I didn't bother to reply.
Ever since then I've thought of similar moments such as these, as 'dipstick moments'.

Harry

Love this post Harry! Laughing
Lee Brindley
Lee Brindley

Back to top Go down

Post  F. Waheedy Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:09 pm

Harry Harrington wrote:*GULP*

Harry

Smile
F. Waheedy
F. Waheedy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:10 pm

Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:30 pm

funny. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

English Elm Sucker! - Page 2 Empty UPDATE Feb 2012

Post  Harry Harrington Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:32 pm

As I remembered posting this tree last year on here, I thought I'd update the thread with images from yesterday.
[img]English Elm Sucker! - Page 2 24021210[/img]

The Elm was slipped into a new pot made by Vic Harris of Erin Bonsai in October last year. The pot was designed to look 'damaged' and echo the trunk.
Hope you enjoy!

Harry

Harry Harrington

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:10 pm

Thank you very much Harry, I'm truely blessed! It is amazing how much a fellow can learn from such a fine tree, I find no fault in him. The pot is pure genius, gives the sense of an old garden wall, love the way the moss oozes over the edge! Thank you, again for sharing, I'm very grateful for the insights and possibilities presented.
Sincerly, Rick
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:25 pm

Splendid Harry! ThumbsUp
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:42 pm

Harry
Very nice tree, can't wait to receive your new book. Hope I can get half as much out of it as your first! Keep them coming, post and books.

Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve W. Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:22 am

This is the first time I have seen this post. That is one amazing tree Harry. I personally love the contrast in the carving. Whilst some people can find minor faults in anything, I find the over all aesthetics of the tree to be very pleasing to the eye. Bonsai is an ever evolving art form and I guess we all see things differently. For me this tree is right up there, especially considering what you started with. I look forward to more updates on this one over the years ahead.

Reagrds

Steve W

Steve W.

Back to top Go down

English Elm Sucker! - Page 2 Empty english elm sucker

Post  bob hill Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:57 am

hi harry,wow, what a transformation brilliant,it just goes to show what can be done with something so ordenary,but of course that also depends on sombody like yourself, being able to turn that ugly duckling into a swan. my only gripe would be the three bottom branches crossing the trunk line to the left, how about to the right,so as not to hide the great work you have done on the carving, just an opinion otherwise i cant fault it. thumbs up bob hill .

bob hill

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2