camellia ready for spring

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: camellia ready for spring

Post  Randy_Davis on Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:23 pm

Russell,

Boy that camellia sure looks good this year! fuller growth, nice flowers and a great pot too! Good work bud! I wish we could find Camellias up here in the north.

Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Camellia

Post  kora on Tue May 29, 2012 6:08 pm

At the California Bonsai Society convention in Anaheim this year, I took a workshop using camellia . It was suggested, that in order to increase acidity in the soil, one use kanuma instead of akadama. Has anyone experimented with that? An d yes those camellias are stunning! kora

kora

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker on Tue May 29, 2012 6:33 pm

I've never felt the need to use Kanuma soil or akadama for anything.

What kind of camellias did y'all work on? I'd love to see a picture.

Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

camellia ready for Spring

Post  kora on Tue May 29, 2012 6:59 pm

Keep in mind, that most people in urban areas of California have water with a pH of 8 and over, unless you have well water, acid loving plants suffer, if you don't adjust one way or another for this. We worked on camellia sasanqua,"slim and trim" from Nuccio nursery in Altadena, CA
trunk about 2" diameter-I still fail in posting photos, seems an impossible task for me. kora

kora

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker on Tue May 29, 2012 7:17 pm

Yes, I know the tapwater sucks. I remember seeing suffering satsuki at George Yamaguchi's nursery in the 80's. But with it that bad, I can't imagine akadama OR Kanuma soil making much of a difference.

The Nuccios grow nice plants, we even use some of them here in the South!

Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Camellias

Post  kora on Tue May 29, 2012 7:36 pm

Well, I have some azalias in kanuma and some in akadama, which I use for companion plant/kusamono material, and I have to say, that the azalias grown in kanuma are significantly healthier and more vigorous, than the ones grown in akadama/lava,huega mix(that is my mix for companion plants and for that matter bonsai as well)kora

kora

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker on Tue May 29, 2012 8:39 pm

That doesn't surprise me. And I'm not saying DON'T use Kanuma or akadama, I'm saying I'm glad ($$$) I don't have to!

Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark on Tue May 29, 2012 11:32 pm

Kora,
I have one Sasanqua Camelia that had been growing in standard Bonsai soil for about 5 years. It was doing ok but not thriving.
In 2000 I decided to try a mix of half Kanuma, the tree responded well so I went with 100% Kanuma on the next repot 2 years later.
It has been happy living and growing in Upstate New York.
One interesting note, it has ALWAYS bloomed between Thanksgiving and New Year, including this year. It has never bloomed any other time of the year but it now loaded with fat buds and will probably be in full bloom in a week or so. I did repot to a new slightly larger pot this winter, maybe this is just an expression of joy?

Regards,
Mark

Mark

Back to top Go down

Post  kora on Wed May 30, 2012 12:26 am

Mark:
what is YOUR standard bonsai soil? There are a lot of differing opinions on what is standard bonsai soil. But am glad to know, that your camellias are thriving in kanuma. I will try that on some when I next repot.kora

kora

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker on Wed May 30, 2012 12:27 am

Mark, I'd like to see those buds.

Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  coh on Wed May 30, 2012 2:01 am

Mark, I'd also like to know what you were using before switching to kanuma...was it the soil that Bill sells, or something you mixed up yourself?

Hope to get to see the camellia in bloom at some point!

coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark on Wed May 30, 2012 2:56 am

The "standard soil mix" is a commercial soil 35% granite, 35% haydite, 30% pine bark pre mixed and sifted.

Regards,
Mark

Mark

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker on Wed May 30, 2012 3:06 am

That's cool Mark, and REALLY early. I'm eager to see when they open. How do you store this in the winter? Was its spring flush early? All I can figure is that it's really out of sync. Do you know the variety?

I don't think I've seen any of the camellias or even the early fall blooming sasanquas setting buds like that yet, but I'll check outside tomorrow.

Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  coh on Wed May 30, 2012 3:09 am

Very strange weather up here the past year. Very mild winter, heat wave in early spring (March) followed by several hard freezes...recently quite hot. Plants could easily be confused! My camellia (also a sasanqua) started growing very early and has already completed it's first flush...no flower buds, though.

coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark on Wed May 30, 2012 3:20 am

Russel,
This one is just starting to open, its crazy but cool! I am looking forward to this "show"!

Mark

Mark

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker on Wed May 30, 2012 3:25 am

Here's an updated picture...

Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  kora on Wed May 30, 2012 4:01 am

Mike; Yea, I can see why the camellias would not be very happy in that soil mix. Glad to know that the kanuma works-I wish I had known that a long time ago, would have killed fewer plants.kora

kora

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker on Wed May 30, 2012 1:10 pm

kora wrote:I can see why the camellias would not be very happy in that soil mix.

That's very similar to my mix, so I don't see why they wouldn't be happy - mine certainly are. I guess whatever works...

I can understand Kora's problem, but Mark's puzzles me. Mark, I wonder if there's some mineral/chemical component of Kanuma soil that was lacking in your mix and fertilizer.

Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

RE: Camellias Ready for Spring

Post  0soyoung on Wed May 30, 2012 6:21 pm

I wonder if there's some mineral/chemical component of Kanuma soil that was lacking in your mix and fertilizer.

I've been growing a camelia for the last two years in Turface and it has bloomed both years. I use Osmacote (14-14-14) that has trace minerals.

0soyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  coh on Thu May 31, 2012 3:31 am

Russell Coker wrote:
kora wrote:I can see why the camellias would not be very happy in that soil mix.

That's very similar to my mix, so I don't see why they wouldn't be happy - mine certainly are. I guess whatever works...

I can understand Kora's problem, but Mark's puzzles me. Mark, I wonder if there's some mineral/chemical component of Kanuma soil that was lacking in your mix and fertilizer.

Exactly the mix I've been using with mine and though it just finished a strong growth spurt, I've noticed that some of the (new) leaves don't look all that great (again) - slightly yellow-ish. Not sure if it has something to do with the mix, the water/fertilizer, just my inexperience...gonna keep working at it but will consider trying kanuma if I continue having problems.

coh

Back to top Go down

Post  kora on Thu May 31, 2012 5:59 am

Keep in mind, that kanuma is very acidic and that is what camellias and azalias want. I suspect that the reason your camellias are complaining is the fact, that your mix is not acidic enough-now miracid and osmocote for camellias and azalias might do the trick.

kora

Back to top Go down

Post  yogesh on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:36 am

please post new pics... nice treee

yogesh

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:00 pm

Thank you.

Blooming is finished, cut back hard, waiting for spring... Nothing really new to show!

R

Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:35 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum