Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai Books

+12
Jay Gaydosh
craigw
Bugeye
Phil Walsh
Peter E.
fiona
Bob Pressler
Kev Bailey
Ravi Kiran
Khaimraj Seepersad
JimLewis
Billy M. Rhodes
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Bonsai Books - Page 3 Empty Re: Bonsai Books

Post  fiona Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:36 pm

JimLewis wrote: Dogmatism, Khaimraj, dogmatism. Never good.
Seemed to work fine for my late mother. Laughing
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:29 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:
Fiona, no heel biting, I wear heavy boots, you could break or lose a tooth. Laughing Later.
Khaimraj
Eh? I've responded to that nugget in a PM.

Can we get this thread back to lists of our favourite books please as that is what was asked for.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:45 am

This will probably be swept aside as yet another thread degenerates into lockdown, but here goes anyway.

Growing up, my "bible" was Bonsai Techniques for Satsuki, by John Naka, Richard Ota and Kenko Rokkaku. No other book I owned or borrowed showed young plant material being wired so well into the basic styles of bonsai. Each style is also well illustrated with mature examples, and a drawing of the future bonsai are provided too. Although this book was written about satsuki, the styling information can be applied to almost anything. Wiring can't be learned from a book, but this one really shows how to do it correctly. Of course, it didn't hurt that I love satsuki. The real icing on the cake was being able to study under Kenko Rokkaku and actually see these same trees from the book maturing into bonsai, as well as being with the rest of his collection.

When I was 15 or 16, Bill Valavanis made a visit to our club. A couple of weeks later I received back issues of his magazine. It meant a lot to me, and I'm eternally grateful to him. Now I'm happy to look at the pictures of Japanese bonsai magazines that I can't read!

Ok then.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:33 am

While I've heard of it for years, I've never seen Naka's Satsuki book. I've seen it for sale at a bookstore for 4 figures, so I'll probably never own one.

Last edited by JimLewis on Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:29 am

Picking up from my last post.....

Yvonne - thanks for the response and yes besides books a lot of articles including ones here on IBC have helped me learn a lot.

Khaimraj - To quickly respond to your post and especially the one that started it.... Thanks for the concern. I really and seriously appreciate it.
So if you are looking to really become a master of Bonsai,
No I am not really looking at becoming a master of bonsai Smile I am into bonsai for the love of it. This does not mean that my intent to learn isn't there. It is for learning and also for the joy of sharing that brings me to places like IBC.

I'd have liked to respond to all your posts but Fiona in her rather detailed response has said all that I had wanted to say and more.... Thanks Fiona. I really liked all that you have said especially the bit where you said
I let myself be exposed to photos of stunning bonsai that I recognised that bonsai was not just the sticks in pots on display at my local bonsai "exhibition"
My case too. It is the exposure to both inspirational bonsai and also to the techniques that books have helped me. Yes different sources of learning teach different things and I have been a sponge soaking it all up and would want to continue to do so. All this has helped me raise the bar pretty high and the good news is that I am pretty confident that I am well into this journey... having gone way beyond my toddler days of bonsai.

I firmly believe that though books are not the ONLY source of learning, they are a rather important source - especially if one does not have the privilege of having a master (like me).

I would want to conclude by quoting Robert Frost..... "And miles to go before I sleep" and if I dare add..."And enjoy the scenery and the journey along the way"

Very Happy
Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:28 pm

Of course, you don't need a "master." Just find someone who knows more than you do.

But Books rock! Just because they're -- Books. Something else I collect!

My oldest is from 1626 -- New Atlantis, by Francis Bacon. It was bound into a third edition of Bacon's earlier natural history -- Sylva Sylvarum -- and was a surprise -- a pleasant one, though.

I guess my oldest bonsai book is 1950 -- Bonsai - Miniature Potted Trees by Norio Kobayashi, JTB.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Landis Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:42 pm

I agree with Morten on studying photos..this has been invaluable for me. I have several books that I have enjoyed including the Naka books and Peter Adams has written some great ones as well.
However, I will say that the most valuable resource in print for me was a recent purchase of the entire collection of Bill Valavanis' International Bonsai from an older club member. I think that this is the most important and educational assembly of bonsai information in the English language.

As to keeping up with the current Bonsai scene and styling trends I dont think there is a better publication than Bonsai Focus. Always a great selection of fine photos to study in every issue.
Paul Landis
Paul Landis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:59 pm

Fiona reminds me of Dr. Liang's book. Haven't looked at it in a long
time. Probably need to look again, . . . .

And I did. And you're right, Fiona, there are a goodly number of trees in there that are well worth studying. I'd also forgotten how often Dr. Liang's picture appears in the text.

The book is 20 years old now, but still in print in paperback; is she still doing bonsai somewhere -- Taiwan? I don't recall hearing any recent reference to her -- demos and workshops? Speaking engagements? Trees in shows, etc.

Google doesn't really turn up much but the one book.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:06 am

Hey Y'all.

If you're looking for one of the iconic bonsai books of the 1970's, there's a copy of Mr. Wu's Man Lung Artist Pot Plants on ebay NOW with a starting bid of 13 bucks. Amazing book, and "our" first look at bonsai outside of Japan. Wonderful!

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:36 am

Jim,

Well, Liang Yueh Mei or Amy Liang as she is known in the west is an advisor for the National Bonsai Association of Taiwan. Although she knows bonsai and has a respectable collection, most of her trees have been styled by other artists. On another note, she was quite active during the Taiwan ASPAC. Also and going back to her book, there is a revised edition (in Chinese) that includes stone appreciation an updated pictures of some of the trees that were featured in the previous edition.

As far as bonsai books go, i have a whole bunch. To give you an example, I have over 100 Taiwanese bonsai books alone. I also market and sell these on a yearly basis (Hwa Fong/TBCA).

Fiona,

One of the best and most comprehensive articles ever written on wiring appears in Issue II of Bonsai Today. Originally, this appeared in Kindai Bonsai. This article is well over 14 pages devoted to the subject.

Kind regards,

Jose Luis

jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3