Jade (Portulacaria Afra) first styling

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jade (Portulacaria Afra) first styling

Post  Ravi Kiran on Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:03 am

Hi,

Here is a first styling pic of a Jade that I picked up from a nursery (as usual) a couple of weeks ago. The trunk movement of this tree caught my eye from among a dozen others of the same species bunched together. I still am kicking myself for not taking a pic before I started working on this tree. But to quickly add, it was about 3 feet tall with multiple branches in almost all directions. The finished height is about 18 inches. I have attempted the chinese informal upright style with the first right branch extending a little longer than the corresponding left branch. Chopping the tree down to this has also given me some good cuttings which I hope to make into Shohin trees once they root. For those of you who don't know cuttings from Jade are the best. I am yet to see a cutting that has not rooted of Jade. No rooting harmone or any such thing. Just stick it in the soil and give it a couple of weeks or so and it will root.

I hope to transfer this tree from the present plastic bag to a growth pot in a few months, once the tree has settled.

Comments as always are most welcome.

Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Re: Jade (Portulacaria Afra) first styling

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:27 am

Well Ravi,

I have seen many fine examples of this shrub, and with tight pinching, I am sure you will join the long line of beautiful elephant bush bonsai.

At 30"[ 76 cm ] was there a large trunk?

To propagate, I just leave the cuttings in the air for a few days and then stick them in gravelly soil. I am giving the children away as gifts -chuckle - there are so many.
Thanks for taking the time to show.
Hope to see the future.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:45 pm

Ravi,
Waiting to see how you work this tree out.
Keep up the good work.
Jerry

Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran on Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:14 pm

Hi Khaimraj,

Thanks for your kind words.....

Jerry
Thanks also for your kind words. Coming from you I appreciate them very much. My guess is that the tree will need about a year or more likely two years to be anywhere near what I want it to be... Nevertheless will post an annual update....

Regards
Ravi

Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:08 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum