Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jade (Portulacaria Afra) first styling

3 posters

Go down

Jade (Portulacaria Afra) first styling Empty Jade (Portulacaria Afra) first styling

Post  Ravi Kiran Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:03 am

Hi,

Here is a first styling pic of a Jade that I picked up from a nursery (as usual) a couple of weeks ago. The trunk movement of this tree caught my eye from among a dozen others of the same species bunched together. I still am kicking myself for not taking a pic before I started working on this tree. But to quickly add, it was about 3 feet tall with multiple branches in almost all directions. The finished height is about 18 inches. I have attempted the chinese informal upright style with the first right branch extending a little longer than the corresponding left branch. Chopping the tree down to this has also given me some good cuttings which I hope to make into Shohin trees once they root. For those of you who don't know cuttings from Jade are the best. I am yet to see a cutting that has not rooted of Jade. No rooting harmone or any such thing. Just stick it in the soil and give it a couple of weeks or so and it will root.

Jade (Portulacaria Afra) first styling Image010

I hope to transfer this tree from the present plastic bag to a growth pot in a few months, once the tree has settled.

Comments as always are most welcome.
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Jade (Portulacaria Afra) first styling Empty Re: Jade (Portulacaria Afra) first styling

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:27 am

Well Ravi,

I have seen many fine examples of this shrub, and with tight pinching, I am sure you will join the long line of beautiful elephant bush bonsai.

At 30"[ 76 cm ] was there a large trunk?

To propagate, I just leave the cuttings in the air for a few days and then stick them in gravelly soil. I am giving the children away as gifts -chuckle - there are so many.
Thanks for taking the time to show.
Hope to see the future.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Jade (Portulacaria Afra) first styling Empty Re: Jade (Portulacaria Afra) first styling

Post  Jerry Meislik Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:45 pm

Ravi,
Waiting to see how you work this tree out.
Keep up the good work.
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:14 pm

Hi Khaimraj,

Thanks for your kind words.....

Jerry
Thanks also for your kind words. Coming from you I appreciate them very much. My guess is that the tree will need about a year or more likely two years to be anywhere near what I want it to be... Nevertheless will post an annual update....

Regards
Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down