Vet Wrap - has anyone used it on trees?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Vet Wrap - has anyone used it on trees?

Post  JimLewis on Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:05 pm

I can't see the branch structure up top, but I'm not sure the tree would miss that dangling branch.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones on Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:06 pm

I would imagine it has been grown on pending shaping, which does it no harm whatsoever … and it gives you a bit more to work with. No doubt when the thread runs the course Fiona will update us.

Will

Not seen that one before, what a stunning example. Pure genus Smile

Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:27 pm

JimLewis wrote:
That is the most important branch on the tree for sure (in my opinion).

Interesting, Morton. Why do you say that?

To me, it dangles down there like a useless appendix and interrupts the nice movement in the trunk itself. I suppose it could become (but would not if this tree were mine) a new "apex" or end branch.

Hi Jim

It is because this branch adds character and "personality" to the tree. Furthermore it make the tree balance well, clearly proved in Wills picture showing a similar bonsai with a dropping branch.
Without it will lose interest and the age impression of the tree I think.

I have added another example of a tree with dropping branches that I personally find very appealing and natural.

Regards
Morten

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:52 pm

if you do use a screw, i would advise drilling a small pilot hole first, not into the trunk but only through the bit you are wanting to fix to the trunk, that way it shouldn't split as the screw goes through.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Kennedy on Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:14 pm

Ive used vetwrap quite a lot,on humans and horses and trees,but to be honest rafia is the best soloution here,much better than anything else will ever be

Lee Kennedy

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:50 pm

re Jim's dangly appendage: the tree posted by Will is along the lines of what I originally envisaged for the tree when I got it a year ago. I confess I did ask myself Jim's very question of was that branch actually necessary when it looked as if it might be a goner. But seeing the Mario/Hans V tree makes me think I would like to preserve it, mostly for the reasons Morten explains.

Jun: the crown is overgrown currently because I wanted to let it grow a fair bit after I got it. It has only had a light trim in the past year and is developing quite nicely because of it.

Lee: I haven't got any raffia but do have a load of Vet Wrap.

Oh and Lee - the Vet Wrap is a lovely shade of Everton blue as well. I really thought you'd like it! Twisted Evil

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Kennedy on Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:46 pm

Or is it a torres blue? i'd like to beat him around the head with my red pine!

Lee Kennedy

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul B (Scotland) on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi Fiona,

I hope you manage to save the branch, this was one of your trees I liked the most when I came through to see your garden - Lurch the Larch just beat this Juniper as my favourite.

If it's not too late, I can send you some raffia in the post, it should get to you by Wednesday / Thursday. Just let me know if you want me to send it.

I can also send you some Holy water to sort out the ghostly figure in the right hand side window in your first photo - she's kinda hunched up, clutching a round metallic object - she looks strangely familiar. A few Hail Mary's and a dab or two of the Holy water should sort her out Very Happy

Paul B (Scotland)

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:52 pm

paul burke wrote:
I can also send you some Holy water to sort out the ghostly figure in the right hand side window in your first photo - she's kinda hunched up, clutching a round metallic object - she looks strangely familiar. A few Hail Mary's and a dab or two of the Holy water should sort her out Very Happy
Absolutely not. It's one of the few pics in which its bum doesn't look big.

And I suspect the ghostly figure may be immune to Hail Marys. More successful would be luring it away with a few well-placed Toblerones.

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:52 am

Looks like Suzi Quattro to me....

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:19 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum