Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shohin. Is that spring on its way :-)

+3
Mike Jones
stephen clarke
fiona
7 posters

Go down

Shohin. Is that spring on its way    :-)     Empty Shohin. Is that spring on its way :-)

Post  Guest Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:17 pm

Still early February, but the cold has disappeared for a while. The Shohin shows small swelling buds, although spring is not here yet. The buds that starts to show signs of action is always a nice time of the year, showing that the growing season is on it´s way.

Regards
Morten

Shohin. Is that spring on its way    :-)     Alb_5910
Shohin: Japanese maple

Shohin. Is that spring on its way    :-)     Alb_5911
Shohin: Japanese maple

Shohin. Is that spring on its way    :-)     Alb_5913
Shohin: Crataegus

Shohin. Is that spring on its way    :-)     Alb_5914
Shohin: Prunus cerasifera

Shohin. Is that spring on its way    :-)     Alb_5916

Shohin. Is that spring on its way    :-)     Alb_5917

Shohin. Is that spring on its way    :-)     Alb_5912
Accent: saxifraga

Last edited by morten albek on Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Shohin. Is that spring on its way    :-)     Empty Re: Shohin. Is that spring on its way :-)

Post  fiona Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:27 pm

I hope you're right, Morten. My shohin are too scared to put their heads outside the glasshouse at the moment but are showing some encouraging spring signs in their sheltered environment.

I'm not going to tell them what the weather forecast is for the next week or so though.

Nice pics.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Shohin. Is that spring on its way    :-)     Empty Re: Shohin. Is that spring on its way :-)

Post  stephen clarke Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:24 pm

fiona ask your trees to have a look outside now,they will want to stay put for a while longer Mad

stephen clarke

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:55 pm

stephen clarke wrote:fiona ask your trees to have a look outside now,they will want to stay put for a while longer Mad

All my bonsai are still in the greenhouse in winter protection. I bring them out in March or April depending on the weather. I always try to let them adapt and harden off in cold weather though, to avoid leafs being too fragile and too early development.
Sometimes I have to bring them back again if severe freezing nights/days occur late. Also to avoid damages.

Regards
Morten

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:58 pm

I know you have some rotten horrible winds and snow up the top. Fingers crossed it gets better soon; the wind however is on its way down to the SW in the next day or so. No signs yet of major movement, Mountain Maple is always first. Hopefully soon enough.
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  craigw Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:51 pm

Hi Morten, I am sure your ready for spring after the winter you have had. We are at around 30 degrees at the moment with a very high humidity. There is rain feeding all the way down here from the cyclone in north queensland. Normally at this time of year our major concern is fire but this year low lying areas are threatened by flood, the weather patterns are very strange.
Craig

craigw

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:57 pm

We had a day in the 70s F. on Monday. We're expecting snow and sleet tonight. Sounds just like spring to me.

My flowering quince are just about to pop. It'll go into the low 20s Sunday, so I'll bring 'em in.

Bummer.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:07 pm

The buds are starting to change in my garden. Elms and Blackthorn look plumper,Hawthorn buds have a red tinge to them now. All my trees are outdoors too. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  shimsuki Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:09 am

Morten,

I always enjoy your photos! I, like your shohin, can not wait for spring!

Andrew
shimsuki
shimsuki

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:57 am

Alas, here at 43 N x 76 W, it is still dead of winter. In the throes of depression, I begged my husband to cut some branches of fantail willow.
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:47 pm

bonsaisr wrote:Alas, here at 43 N x 76 W, it is still dead of winter. In the throes of depression, I begged my husband to cut some branches of fantail willow.

Very Happy yes, something must be done.

I hope Craig and countrymen are not hit too hard by another weather disaster. I really feel for you down there. Weather here still mild and I am truly looking forward to that sunny warm long lasting spring (maybe in my dreams, but still....)....

Regards
Morten

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:48 pm

While not wishing to detract from the really appalling weather tragedies that have hit Australia recently, we got our own idea of what it was like as last night the west of Scotland was hit hard by Cyclone Yasi's younger sister Senga.

But it does rather put things into perspective that while I'm moaning and wailing about a split branch and a couple of broken pots, there are those who are much worse off by a long way. Pots can be mended, but people's devastated homes not easily so,
And you simply just can't compare it to lives lost.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down