Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pinus parviflora 'Zuisho'

2 posters

Go down

Pinus parviflora 'Zuisho' Empty Pinus parviflora 'Zuisho'

Post  bonsaisr Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:53 am

As I mentioned elsewhere, for years I tried to create an Eastern white pine, P. strobus, in formal upright style as the Great Tree of Peace of the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois). I won't go into the details here; you can Google on it. To me, it is an important contribution to American history. There is a popular stylized sketch that looks like this:

https://i.servimg.com/u/f76/13/96/52/01/zffjm610.jpg

I can't show it here, it's copyright. The tree is always pictured with two war clubs buried at its base, and an eagle hovering at the top to watch for danger.
Nick Lenz & other experts can style P. strobus till the cows come home, but I could never do it. Finally I decided to take my friends' advice & use P. parviflora. As long as it's a five-needle pine, that's what counts.
Fortunately, I had access to Julian Adams and his wonderful air-layers of 'Zuisho,' the prize cultivar of P. parviflora. I bought one in 2009, & Bill Valavanis helped me style it that fall. Last year I rewired it & raised up a new leader. The basic shape is coming along, but I find all the rules for pines very confusing. I don''t have to worry about reducing the needles, but I need suggestions for getting it to back-bud IN ZONE 5.

Here is the first styling when I got it.
Pinus parviflora 'Zuisho' Zuisho10

Here it is in December 2010, rewired with a new leader. The pot is basically a training pot. Dale Cochoy makes a brown oval pot with turtles that I hope to get for it next year.
Pinus parviflora 'Zuisho' Zuisho11

Here it is dressed up with two mini war clubs and a carved eagle. If you are allergic to kitsch, don't look.
Pinus parviflora 'Zuisho' Zuisho12
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Pinus parviflora 'Zuisho' Empty Re: Pinus parviflora 'Zuisho'

Post  Todd Ellis Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:27 pm

Iris, the turtle pot will be a perfect tribute to your vision; the tree sitting on "Turtle Island" - Ah Ho!
I honor your vision! ...and hope to see a picture of the repotted pine. I am Lakota and have thought about creating a "living" sun Dance tree with ribbons to honor our Sun Dancers. This would be a broom style tree.
Best, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Pinus parviflora 'Zuisho' Empty Pinus parviflora 'Zuisho'

Post  bonsaisr Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:39 pm

I'm glad you responded to my idea. I visited Crazy Horse* a few years ago, & now I have a pair of Lakota turtle earrings.
I was warned in no uncertain terms not to repot Zuisho this year, so I have to wait until 2012.
Iris

* A few miles from Mount Rushmore, an activist and his supporters are building a gigantic monument to Crazy Horse, a famous Native American leader. The project is going very slowly because they refuse to accept any governmental help. They are supported by donations & non-profit groups. The center at the base of the monument contains an educational exhibit and booths selling native arts & crafts.
Go here: http://www.crazyhorsememorial.org/

Last edited by bonsaisr on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add URL for information)
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Pinus parviflora 'Zuisho' Empty Re: Pinus parviflora 'Zuisho'

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down