Serissa Part 2 - Growing in only cocoa moss - my example - Inspiration youtube

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Serissa Part 2 - Growing in only cocoa moss - my example - Inspiration youtube

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:48 pm

Morning to All,

On you-tube as I have mentioned before is a gentleman who shows how to grow bonsai in just sphagnum peatmoss.

Down here we use the moss that grows on our cocoa trees - as we call it - cocoa moss.

So using cocoa moss last year around February, I placed a cutting of a Serissa in a pot of wet, compressed cocoa moss.
Here are the results. Pot is a local Indian was lowfired earthenware, refired and glazed with a 06 faux stoneware glaze. The body is still porous. This was to prevent the cocoa moss from killing the plant with excessive water. I will re-test in a stoneware body later on in the year, with another serissa cutting just to see what happens.

Little plant is a chance cuphea h. seedling [ I put him back with the repot to see what happens.]
Placement full sun and the fertilizer was just 10 grains of an osmocote type granule [ multicote ]

Feel free to communicate as you wish.
Khaimraj

The victim

Before repotting

After repotting and showing the cut of root growth from the bottom of the pot

Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Re: Serissa Part 2 - Growing in only cocoa moss - my example - Inspiration youtube

Post  Jerry Meislik on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:12 pm

Khaimraj,
the root growth is impressive and shows that the plant really likes the moss.
I would urge caution to others trying a moss based potting system that the situation with moss can reverse quite quickly and make the material impervious to water and to oxygen resulting in a quick decline or death.
Just another opinion.
Jerry

Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Re: Serissa Part 2 - Growing in only cocoa moss - my example - Inspiration youtube

Post  Rob Kempinski on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:55 pm

Also be advised that sphagnum moss can be fatal to humans if bacteria it sometimes carries gets into your body. If you use a lot of moss wear gloves and a mask. A guy in Florida that used Sphagnum moss for container plants exclusively died from some infection inside his body.

Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:18 pm

Jerry,

understood. Guess we get to test the pie cut idea. It's just an experiment, more like a modified hydroponic situation, plant living on water, fertilizer and decaying cocoa moss. Imagine how the cells may be less than perfect. Hydroponically grown tomatoes down here used to collapse under their own body weight. The fad died out after a year or two. [ yes, the mono-cropping tendency to easy disease as well.]

Why I still prefer home made compost to bark or completely inorganic blends.

Rob,

thanks for looking out for me. The guy on You-tube also mentioned the sphagnum moss spore death as well. I doubt if I will ever have more than a couple of plants in cocoa moss, we use the stuff for airlayering, and think women decorate artificial flowers with it.

Does cocoa moss have the same spore problem? But then we don't really have bags of the stuff being commercially collected or used, just some folk collecting here and there in the small cocoa estates.

Just thought it might be something of interest to the group, to cut the winter blah blahs.
Khaimraj

* Did anyone mention that the Serissa is not tropical, and a friend in New Jersey winters his trees in the snow.
Should open up the field to folk in the UK or Europe --- yes ?

Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:28 pm

Hi Rob and Khaimraj

Interesting reading from both of you....Does anyone know exacly why the guy died....I use a lot of spagnummoss, and have not reached the point, where I want to part from this world affraid

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:49 pm

Yvonne,

thanks for reading. To the problems of Sphagnum Moss, I am not sure ?

I found this - http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATSphagnum%20Moss.htm

if I can make some more free time, I will see if the medical sections have anything.
Thanks again.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran on Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:25 am

Hi Khaimraj,

good to see you succeed in the first part of the bonsai journey of this Serissa with the moss substrate. I am sure you have your hands full as regards wiring and shaping this Serissa. About sphagnum moss, besides air layering and these days as part of soil mix, I do not use it much. So guess I am reasonably safe... Very Happy

Ravi

Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:37 am

Lucky you Ravi Smile .

Khaimraj, I will look for your answer, many thanks.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  pak bonsai on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:21 am

good experiment Khaimraj.
i have planted a ficus cutting in coconut husk and almond shells,cutting has got roots now.but its not looking healthy.waiting for spring to see if it response well.

pak bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:11 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum