dragonhead-mountain

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

dragonhead-mountain

Post  Guest on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:36 am

Hi everybody

I brought this Gobi-dessertstone ( Fengli) home from China. It is 33 cm. long, and nice i a suiban.
I see a dragonhead-mountain, and for the everyday-exhibit, would I want a wooden seat.
Can anyone help me with a idea of a design, of the seat?.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Re: dragonhead-mountain

Post  Guest on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:38 am

Detail....

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:41 am

Sorry, the first photo was too short

This one was too short too.
I will send a third photo, if any one wants to see it, and want to show a suggestion for the seat.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:16 pm

Hi Yvonne... It appears to be a fine specimen of petrified wood, Yvonne, which is modestly outside of Japanese suiseki appreciation.

I like your choice of "Dragon-head Mountain" animated with scenic view and fabled-animal metaphor. It appears supportable by a seat under its middle belly. I'd attempt that mounting or a very explicit, continuing lip along the underside from its midsection to "tail' so that the writhing/multiply-curved profile of the underside reveals strong support of the dragon image.

With a Chinese-style shizuo "wood seat," you can be more explicit than with a Japanese-style daiza in detailing the continuing curve under the dragon's middle & perhaps even suggest a dynamic rising coil toward the dragon's head.

The stone's 'tail' looks a bit long to shift the image diagonally, though Chinese craftsmen often use the diagonal to add dynamism to animal images. At the diagonal, your dragon would bump its tail unless a center-supporting seat placed the stone very high. Placed horizontally, as you show it, the mountain image is more evident; the horizontal texture adds to an image of stability.

Depending on the stone's view from other sides, a vertical orientation might also bear consideration.

Best wishes on exceptional seating for a beautifully textured stone!

Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:39 pm

Hi Chris

It is not easy to imagine the seat you are suggesting....could you draw the seats?. Smile

The stone has a very good shape seen from the top dawn.

It is not petrified wood...and to stop you from beliving this. Will I do some namedropping, wich I dont like.
In China after I bought the stone, both I, Igor Barta and my good friends Willi and Gudrun Benz did not disguss if it was fenglistone or not.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane on Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:12 pm

Igor, Willi & Gudren like stones in Chinese taste. I do, too. Why do you imagine this is not petrified wood-- whether a Fengli desert stone or otherwise. If "no one commented," perhaps it is because the source of silica replacing wood appears obvious. Kemin's Modern Chinese Scholars' Rocks book (pp. 54 f.) notes petrified wood from several regions. Some retain features of the original wood (as yours does) while others (notably some Fengli) differ distinctively.

I see large garden-sized Chinese petrified wood specimens from a pseudo antiques dealer in Virginia that are shown alongside cave stones (stalagtites/stalagmites). I have several petrified wood stones collected in Virginia-- they are beautiful. It is fine to collect & display them as viewing stones or stones in Chinese-style, but they are not traditional suiseki candidates. Petrified stone collecting was mentioned in Du Wan's Stone Catalogue of Cloudy Forest (Song dynasty) so it has a long history.

I will work on a seat illustration, but my skills are not very good-- do you prefer a stone with more stability or dynamism in feeling?

Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:02 pm

Hi Chris

I will look forward, to more than one drawing.
OK, with the petrified wood....But It is a fengli.....Gudrun, Willi and Igor said it, and I bought it as a Fengli.
The photo is only a bit to short,do you need a better photo?

Kind regards yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane on Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:15 pm

After cutting the image of the stone from the photo & pasting it, my software only allowed a screen barely large-enough to hold the image. Therefore, only the lip of each seat is depicted-- one enhancing the mountain view & the other more supportive of the dragon image.

After re-orienting the stone to an angle better-supporting the dragon image, it appears reasonable to rest the stone on two separated lips of a carved seat rather than a continuous lip. Between the two lips, Chinese carvers often mimick the rising arch of a stone with a mirror-image descending arch.

I apologize that my images are crude & incomplete, but it is what I can manage with software that is relatively new to me.

Mountain View favored:

Dragon Image favored:

Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  peterbrod on Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:47 pm

yvonne- sunny

peterbrod

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:13 pm

Hi Chris

I had the same mountainviuv.
My dragonheadviuv was tiltet to the other side, so that the head, and seat was oriented forward ( to the left)( dragon not looking dawn, but up), this way the stone now would be a shelterstone. Please let me know what you think.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:18 pm

Hi Peterbrod

This was completely new to me Very Happy .....I firnd your suggestin amusing, and I will certanly take a good look on the stone again...a problem could be: The stone has been lying on the sand forever, and have the original fengli-collour on the underside ( no patina).

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane on Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:00 pm

Hi Yvonne... We imagined different dragons. I didn't intend the dragon doing a nosedive, but saw him rising-- his head depicted with a partially open jaw at the highest elevation of the stone.

I'll try to capture your alignment since I have the photo clipped. In your alignment, those trailing (right-side) extensions suggest natural-rock, landscape Rain Shelters very well. Your choice provides a very dynamic image!

Yvonne's Dragon-shaped Mountain (I think):

Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  peterbrod on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:23 pm

peterbrod

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:30 am

Hi Chris

This was my idea....the smal shelters on the right side is nice. Is the nose to big/heavy to be called a shelter, if I carve the seat, as a shelterseat.?

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:34 am

Hi Peterbrod

I like the bird a lot, and it looks very much the same as yours, witch I also like.
But my stone is not usefull for this design, as it is very dragon scull like on both sides, and the underside has no patina.
I must go for the mountin- or sheltershape....witch one do you like the best.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane on Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:48 pm

Hi Yvonne... You must decide for yourself. I would limit the seat's circumference to closely following the lip of the seat.

Avoid adding an extension of the seat under the the overhanging stone if you are thinking of a Japanese-style Rain Shelter suiseki. A Rain Shelter suiseki should have a stone floor-- a landscape overhang without a floor is not a shelter. Japanese-style suiseki enthusiasts (and many viewing stone enthusiasts) will question a shelter 'completed' with a wood daiza floor. On the stone's right side, the stack of natural Rain Shelters will be recognized when looking at the stone as a mountain landscape view, whether seen in Japanese or Chinese landscape stone context.

Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:33 am

Hi Chris
Thanks for all you inputs...it is a big dificult stone to make a seat for, so opinions are good.
I wonder where you found, what you wrote about shelterseats, as I see exacly this carried out many times.
I have in books quikly found a shelterstone with wooden seat floor, a stone in a suiban with sand floor, and a stone in a small seat, with the furniture it stands on, as the floor. I can send you theese photos wia mail, if you want to see them( I am not going to ask for permission to send them on IBC).

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

"update"

Post  Guest on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:39 pm

Hi everybody
After ruining 3 big fat pieses, of very nice wood, I finaly gave up, carving a daiza for this big fantastic, but difficult fengli-stone, and bought this doban insteadt.....It is old, japanese, and made from bronze.
I am happy to enjoy this display in my house every day.....I hope you like it too Very Happy

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

as i see it

Post  stonener on Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:49 am

Ms Yvonne,
friendly advise, as i am expert on nothing!
Your dragon stone is fabulous,
but as shown it magnificence is lost.
Doban is way too busy, too deep, too tall and small,
perhaps a plain sided oval, larger and shallower would be better.
Then the powerful dragon would be better seen and appreciated!

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:16 am

Hi stonener

Looking at the photo, I could agree to you....The doban IS very powerfull. But I really like it.

The collours of the doban is more striking on the photo, than it is in real light, this is flash.

This is for home-display....In my home the the display is placed low, and the stone does not drown.
On the other side of the doban is the mouth of the dragon closed and the display more quiet, this is the side I would use for exhibit.
I dont really think the doban is too tall, but it will not need a another stand in a exhibit.

The doban is not to short....the stone is presented as a shelterstone, and the part of the stone, who is in the sand, is about the half.

Your doban suggestion sounds good, no problem with that.

I show you a another picture, on how I see it in my home....the first photo is shown from an low angle.

Some of my friends in suiseki, whos oppinion I really can rely on, say big incensetrays like this kind, is used for outstanding stones....and this stone is outstanding.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:01 pm

Hello Ivonne.

Okay the hight of the bronze vessel and the hight of the stone
could be, seen in one way, a bit of a problem.
However because of other things this is lovely and quit acceptable for me.
Normally one does not have 25 dobans like this on the shelf is it?
This occasional tension between different items and material can give great satisfaction.
Specially seen from above.
But i agree on times compositions it can be far from pleasant.
regards, Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Norma on Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:57 pm

Hi Yvonne,

To me, your bronze doban is perfect for this dramatic stone!!! I love it! All it needs is smoke....:0)

Regards,
Norma

Norma

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:17 am

Hi Yvonne,
Exquisite and your stone speaks for itself, Love it! Very Happy
Regards,
Alex

Last edited by ogie on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mispellef)

ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:15 pm

Hi Norma and Ogie

I am happy you like the stone and the display...and yes, smoke would be ferfect....DRAMA.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  trantanhung_nt on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:33 am

Hello Yvonne ,
Just happy for you ...
I would feel happy if DOBAN for your Stone is thinner .
Sincerely ,
Hưng - Trần .

trantanhung_nt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:48 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum