Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

propane = death?

5 posters

Go down

propane = death? Empty propane = death?

Post  bucknbonsai Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:42 am

Hello,
I have a new sunroom full of ficus among other tropicals. about 2 weeks ago I had a vent free propane log installed to heat it and I also started running a dehumidifier (mold was growing on the ceiling and the floor was slippery). All of a sudden this week basically all my plants especially the ficus and fukien tea have started having yellowing leaves( the tea dropped every single leaf) Im keeping the soil the same moisture as I always have in previous years. Some of the trees especially the orange trees and sheffleria have perfect green looking leaves and when the branch is touched they just all fall off by the dozens. The humidity still ranges from 50-70 percent, compared to 90%, and the room is very bright. The temp with the gas log is about 65-70 compared to the 60-65 that the electric had been doing. Does anyone know if propane fumes (room at times has hint of propane smell) or even the byproduct sewit that Ive heard about, will harm plants. Im sure greenhouses etc... use propane but maybe they are vented propane stoves? Could a change in humidity even though its still humid cause this kind of catastrophe, EVERYTHING is dying even the 40yr old fukein tea with the 5" trunk. any thoughts?
thanks,
alex
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

propane = death? Empty Re: propane = death?

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:40 am

Dear Alex

I really feel for your loss....I hope they will stay alive after all. I expect you are back to the electric heating again...Is all trees moulding everyvere?
I still have my 3 ficus in the humidtent in the window.....I also had a other small plant, in a diffrent soil, based on vulcan ( sorry I dont remember the name).
It moulded in beginning of december, and was remooved.
The ficus is still doing much better than expected, without mould.

Maybe not much help....

Kind regards Yvonne...I would like to see a photo of the room Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:16 pm

If YOU are smelling propane, I'd have whoever installed it over to check it out ASAP.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:59 pm

Burning of propanium expended valuable quantity of oxygen, perhaps....
Maybe plants were suffocated in some way...
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:51 pm

There is no mold on the soil surface or plants especially since the dehumidifier started running. 2/3rds of the day the sunroom is open to the rest of the house so I think it gets fresh air and oxygen. Ive called the propane guy but he hasnt called me back. I dont know how to post pictures (host image or image?)
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Oliver Muscio Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:55 pm

I would go with Jim: If you smell propane, have the installation checked immediately. Also, while complete combustion of propane will yield only water and carbon dioxide (CO2), incomplete combustion will result in carbon monoxide (CO) as well as ethylene (ethene) byproduct. Ethylene acts as a plant hormone, hastening ripening (used with tomatoes), and may also be a cause of the leaf-dropping.
Oliver

Last edited by Oliver Muscio on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Oliver Muscio

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:08 pm

JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  63pmp Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:49 pm

I agree with previous poster about incomplete combustion (which never happens in reality) causing plant illness. Extremely small amounts of ethylene will cause leaf drop on plants. Carbon monoxide is toxic to everything, some plants are more sensitive than others.

Paul

63pmp

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:44 am

thanks jim . I got one photo to post on the tutorial site but cant get anything other than links to post on this site. https://i.servimg.com/u/f79/16/09/00/79/pear10.jpghttps://i.servimg.com/u/f79/16/09/00/79/pear10.jpg
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:46 am

apparently the links dont work either
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:05 pm

The image you posted in the testing forum was a *.jpg image. What you tried to post here was a *.gif file.

I'm not enuff of a techie to know for sure, but posting *.jpg images seems safest.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down