Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can this tree be a bonsai by airlayering?

4 posters

Go down

Can this tree be a bonsai by airlayering? Empty Can this tree be a bonsai by airlayering?

Post  creekfield Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:52 pm

Hi everyone, Can anyone tell me what name this tree is? And can it be airlayering to be a bonsai?
/Can this tree be a bonsai by airlayering? Unknow18

creekfield

Back to top Go down

Can this tree be a bonsai by airlayering? Empty Re: Can this tree be a bonsai by airlayering?

Post  JimLewis Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:25 am

Apple, pear or plum, and all of those make nice bonsai. At least apple and pear layer easily.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Can this tree be a bonsai by airlayering? Empty Re: Can this tree be a bonsai by airlayering?

Post  Ryan Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:50 am

I agree with Jim. I would've said Bradford pear.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Charles M Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:09 am

Here in So Cal, we call that tree an Ornamental Pear, because it is used as a landscape tree for its foliage, flowers and bark, but it does not bear fruit. They make good bonsai. I have an old one that was grown as a bonsai for many years. My only problem with the one I have is that it throws out suckers, but I cannot get it to bud back. It may be nearing the end of its natural lifespan.

You should be able to air layer that one. Start soon, though, because they are generally done growing by June.
Charles M
Charles M

Back to top Go down

Post  creekfield Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:12 am

Many thanks to Jimlewis, Ryan, and Charles M...

creekfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down