Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best soil?

+2
JimLewis
lindzh
6 posters

Go down

Best soil? Empty Best soil?

Post  lindzh Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:44 pm

Howdy all!
A couple months ago I purchased a Juniper Bonsai from www.bonsaiboss.com. I'm new to bonsai, and was wondering what type of soil would be best to use when I repot. Is there certain soils that are better to use than others? Let me know, and thanks so much:)

lindzh

Back to top Go down

Best soil? Empty Re: Best soil?

Post  JimLewis Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:48 pm

I think if you go up to the Search box in the right hand corner of these pages, and type in soil you will find a lot of information.

There is no "best" soil. It needs to have large particle size and must drain quickly.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  shimsuki Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:07 pm

What jim said is right. Since the tree you got is probably a young tree, you want a larger particle size to allow plenty of growing to take place.

If it is a young tree, you might want to consider putting it in a training pot with lots of leg room instead of a small pot. I made this mistake when I was a beginner, and most beginners do too. Training pot with large particle size soil is my suggestion.
shimsuki
shimsuki

Back to top Go down

Best soil? Empty Best Soil

Post  bonsaisr Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:23 pm

Since you are in Texas, you may need a little more organic matter for your climate than a soil that is good for us northerners. I suggest you inquire at Dallas Bonsai Garden, www.dallasbonsai.com/
At this stage, it might make more sense for you to purchase soil rather than make your own.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Doiron Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:37 am

I happened to find this just this morning and wanted to post it in case it was of interest to anyone. I haven't used them but I looked around their site briefly and it seems they have a good selection of things. Their prices seem like they might be a little high but again I only briefly perused it.

http://www.substratesource.com/index.php?p=home
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:27 am

I wouldn't use anything colored or coated. Also I don't see any notation about what the product is made of. It looks like a baked clay like Turface which is a lot cheaper than $1 or more per pound. Turface Red Bag is between $15 and $20 for a 50 pound bag. It should be available in most of the US. Look for companies that sell to schools, governments and golf courses, it is used in baseball fields. LESCO is a company in many parts of the US. I have even seen Turface sold in feed stores as "turkey grit," although I would not trust it in my turkeys, if I had any.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  lindzh Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:24 pm

Thanks for all the helpful information ya'll! I definitely appreciate it:)

lindzh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down