Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lime sulphur in Vietnam ?

4 posters

Go down

Lime sulphur in Vietnam ? Empty Lime sulphur in Vietnam ?

Post  tuyhoabob Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:54 am

Maybe the Vietnamese guys in the forum can help with this?

As part of the re-design of my bigger fukien tea and the continuing design of another tree I've created large areas of deadwood -- like the rotted out areas of a big tree after a lightening strike has opened it up. What these areas need now is applications of lime sulphur, for both accent and protection. I have searched high and low with no result. Can any of the 'locals' on the forum help with this?

Bob
tuyhoabob
tuyhoabob

Back to top Go down

Lime sulphur in Vietnam ? Empty Re: Lime sulphur in Vietnam ?

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:26 pm

It is possible to make your own. I don't know the formula but I would think you could search the web for the formula.

Billy
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Lime sulphur in Vietnam ? Empty lime sulphur

Post  tuyhoabob Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:55 pm

I could but it would probably upset the neighbors and drive me out of my own house.

Bob
tuyhoabob
tuyhoabob

Back to top Go down

Lime sulphur in Vietnam ? Empty re lime sulphur in vietnam

Post  john5555leonard Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:14 am

hi bob , i get mine in bangkok and they post it to me if thats any good to you i,ll dig out the number, but to be honest i do,nt find it effective out here ,i would think your weather is similar to thailand, when the rains come it just washes off. its more effective to use a clear matt finish wood preserver or even a water repellant for concrete then use emulsion paint on top, you can play about mixing colors to get the right shade . regards john .

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:24 am

John is right. Lime Sulphur does not preserve wood against the elements. It will stop fungi and small pest attacks. Fine on Junipers and Pines that have a resinous or tight grain but hopeless on anything else.

Back to top Go down

Lime sulphur in Vietnam ? Empty lime sulphur

Post  tuyhoabob Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:56 am

Probably right, I think he means that between the heat, rain and humidity it will wash right off. I was interested to see what it would do on the exposed wood of the fukien tea especially. Most of what is used here is varnish cut with gas, lasts for a while but not long. I may wind up going that way and using some gray or white mixed in with it for the effect.

Bob
tuyhoabob
tuyhoabob

Back to top Go down

Post  daiviet_nguyen Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:43 am

Dear Bob,

I think the other gentlemen have covered it, I am not sure if I can add anything new.

A few years back, I have written about it on a Vietnamese forum (http://forum.caycanhvietnam.com/diendan/). They donot seem to know what it is. Just about one guy, who appears to be a chemical person states that he is mixing his own. I do not think it is available commercially over there. On that forum, Mr. Lam Ngoc Vinh is a moderator there. A lot of people there seem to use the wrong kind of wood stuff on their trees, they turn into wrong colour.

Another place is Thanh Tam http://www.thanhtambonsai.com/en/contact.php in Saigon. I am not sure if they speak English.

Best regards.

daiviet_nguyen

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:08 am

hi bob , try teak oil it soaks in well helps preserve the wood and gives a natural color , it must be available in vietnam. regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Lime sulphur in Vietnam ? Empty Hmmmm...experimenting??

Post  tuyhoabob Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:53 am

I think John nailed it. I'm making the typical mistake based on what I know from my previous experience in the west -- what I call 'tay stupid'. There is a reason they don't use it. I may look for the oil but in the meantime I went to market and got a baggie of varnish, we have some left over white paint around here but, i'll just mess with it a little and see what happens.

I'm unsure but will try Nguyen as your first name? I apologize if it's not. I have tried that one place in Saigon, they have a very nice looking site however, they don't seem to have working phones and they don't answer email. On a trip to Saigon last year I rode out there in a taxi to see if anyone was around, nope. Paid almost 1million dong to find the place locked up tight. You did give me that one link which I'll explore, maybe get some contacts here for the future.

Of course, before I can do much, I have to wait for the rain to stop. Been one of those monsoon seasons LOL.

Bob
tuyhoabob
tuyhoabob

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down