Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scots Pine... Where To Begin?

3 posters

Go down

Scots Pine... Where To Begin? Empty Scots Pine... Where To Begin?

Post  Lee Brindley Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:59 pm

Does anybody have any ideas for styling this collected Scots pine? I am not sure where to begin and have not yet decided on a "front".

Scots Pine... Where To Begin? 026

Scots Pine... Where To Begin? 025-2

Scots Pine... Where To Begin? 024

Scots Pine... Where To Begin? 023

Thanks, Lee.
Lee Brindley
Lee Brindley

Back to top Go down

Scots Pine... Where To Begin? Empty Re: Scots Pine... Where To Begin?

Post  Lee Brindley Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:04 pm

Scots Pine... Where To Begin? 027

Scots Pine... Where To Begin? 028-2

Scots Pine... Where To Begin? 029
Lee Brindley
Lee Brindley

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Brindley Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:18 pm

Anybody? Something like this maybe?

Scots Pine... Where To Begin? 005-2
Lee Brindley
Lee Brindley

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:34 pm

To be honest, it is too early to style this tree. Instead you have to focus on developing much more growth at the lower part of the tree, and at the inner part of the bare branches, as part of a plan for future styling. Removing the two year old needles in early autumn e.g. will help developing new buds and thereby more branches to work with in a period of some years. Read more about pine techniques at http://www.shohin-europe.com/STARTPAGE/articles.html
Let the top branch grow freely at the same time, thickening the trunk.
Some material needs years of preparation and growth before it is ready for the initial styling.
In the mean time I am sure you will be able to work other trees that are more suitable for styling at this time.

Good luck with it, and best regards
Morten

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Brindley Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:54 pm

morten albek wrote:To be honest, it is too early to style this tree. Instead you have to focus on developing much more growth at the lower part of the tree, and at the inner part of the bare branches, as part of a plan for future styling. Removing the two year old needles in early autumn e.g. will help developing new buds and thereby more branches to work with in a period of some years. Read more about pine techniques at http://www.shohin-europe.com/STARTPAGE/articles.html
Let the top branch grow freely at the same time, thickening the trunk.
Some material needs years of preparation and growth before it is ready for the initial styling.
In the mean time I am sure you will be able to work other trees that are more suitable for styling at this time.

Good luck with it, and best regards
Morten

Thanks Morten.
Develope growth on the lower part of the tree? Would you keep the branches outlined below then or do you think they are too low?

Scots Pine... Where To Begin? 0292
Lee Brindley
Lee Brindley

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:12 pm

At this stage I would keep everything. Later on you will see which branches are weakened and which grows well (and at the right spot). Fortunately pine branches are relatively soft and easy to bend and wire even when a bit thick, so no rush. Remember to fertilize well in the growing season to develop the tree faster.

Regards
Morten

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Brindley Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:39 pm

Just thought I would post a quick update on this tree. I have done very little to it as it is still not very long since collecting, but I already think that it has made quite a transformation since the last photos. All I have done is straighten up the angle a little and remove one branch from near the top.

Scots Pine... Where To Begin? 016-3

I am planning something like this for the future (it looks much better in my head) Laughing

Scots Pine... Where To Begin? 016copy
Lee Brindley
Lee Brindley

Back to top Go down

Post  jonkatzmail Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:38 pm

Hey! Maybe I can hop on a plane and go steal your bonsai now! I can hide it under my shirt to get thru the boarding checkpoints and I'm sure the other passengers would think the pine aroma coming off me was very pleasant! I don't think there are any restrictions about carrying a bonsai under your clothing onto the plane like there are with box cutters, bottles of liquid, or sticks of dynamite, so there shouldn't be any problems! What a Face

jonkatzmail

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:06 pm

You might want to scour back issues of International Bonsai. Bill has always had articles on early development of various pine species. It could be quite useful to you.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Brindley Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:25 pm

This tree is quickly starting to take shape now. I know that I have done a heck of a lot of work to the tree, considering that it was collected less than a year ago, but it is a young and healthy tree with a good root system. I think it will be OK - I hope it will be OK. Yes, I have been impatiant.

Today

Scots Pine... Where To Begin? 002copy-10

The future?

Scots Pine... Where To Begin? 002-7
Lee Brindley
Lee Brindley

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down