Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shohin trident maple

3 posters

Go down

Shohin trident maple Empty Shohin trident maple

Post  Pedro G C Almeida Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:57 am

Hi everyone!

This long post is an attempt to recover a post I opened in the old forum and that was lost.

This is about a shohin trident maple that was imported from Koju-en nursery in Kyoto in 2005. When I bought it, I tried to develop the branching structure for 3 years. Since Spring 2008 it is undergoing an improvement programme that will last at least until the end of the current growing season. I'm reporting its progress so far.

Here's the tree in winter 2008 in its Tokoname pot. By that time it was about 14 cm high from the rim of the pot:

Shohin trident maple _0723

In winter 2008 I decided to correct a few problems that some of the users of the old IBC help identify. In the following picture these flaws are identified. There is some reversed taper at the base of the trunk due to calusing of old cuts (red circles), and some branches had to go (red circles also).

Shohin trident maple Shohin_flaws

Furthermore, the nebari is unbalanced at the left (green circle) and the trunk's girth changes abruptly and rather artificially after the chop (blue circle).

I decided to aproach graft the roots of a cutting on the left of the nebari. I corrected some of the scars and I've let a sacrifice branch grow freely at the top of the tree so that the upper part of the trunk would thicken. The angle of the trunk was also changed in order to remove emphasis from the reversed taper. The branch structure was also cleaned. Here's a photo of the tree after the graft in the colander where it grew last season:

Shohin trident maple 2008_03290147

Here's how the tree looked like by the end of summer 2008:

Shohin trident maple IMG_0019

The upper trunk was thickening, thanks to the sacrifice branch:

Shohin trident maple IMG_0013

The graft seemed to be taking:

Shohin trident maple IMG_0011

In March 2009, I chopped the top of the cutting that was grafted and transplanted the maple into a wide and shallow wooden box. Some photos below.

The general view:

Shohin trident maple IMG_1777

The graft:

Shohin trident maple IMG_1778

The progress of the trunk:

Shohin trident maple IMG_1779

The length of the sacrifice branch:

Shohin trident maple IMG_1780

The plan is to let the sacrifice branch grow freely at least until July/August. I'm thinking about leting the right lower branch extend to 4/3 of the current length, develop the apex more to the left and higher than it is now. This would give the tree a certain semi-cascade character that might work.

Recently, Mário Eusébio, a good friend in bonsai, suggested that the tree could look better with a different angle. He was kind enough to make a virtual, which I took the liberty of posting here:

Shohin trident maple IMG_1777-1

This is also a strong possibility, and I am undecided.

Anyone has comments or further suggestions? I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Pedro

Pedro G C Almeida

Back to top Go down

Shohin trident maple Empty Re: Shohin trident maple

Post  Mário Eusébio Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:23 pm

Hi Pedro!

The Half-cascade option might also be a good option, personally I don't like to see trident maples that way, I think they tend more to be in other styles.

The only possible problem that I could imagine in the moyogi virtual is the possibility to put the tree in that position and still having a good nebari stability. I haven't seen the tree live so it's only a quick suggestion, I hope to see the tree next June and then I can give a more accurate opinion.

Anyway, You have there a very good base to work on Cool.

Best regards,

Mário Eusébio

Mário Eusébio

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro G C Almeida Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:51 pm

Hi Mário,

Thank you for the reply.

The nebari is almost a perfect circle. It will allow the angle you suggested. You will surely see it next June. Very Happy

Regards,
Pedro

Pedro G C Almeida

Back to top Go down

Post  TpaBayFlyFisher Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:24 pm

Thank you for posting the tree's progress.

TpaBayFlyFisher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down