Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inspiration from Will Baddeley - Buxus

3 posters

Go down

Inspiration from Will Baddeley - Buxus Empty Inspiration from Will Baddeley - Buxus

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:42 pm

If memory serves, some months ago, Will was showing his amazing collected Boxwoods from a church yard. Well I hope I remember this correctly.

Anyhow, I had seen boxwood for sale down here, but always stayed away from them. Seeing Will's possibles, I thought I might follow, so here are my tryouts.
Thanks Will.
Khaimraj

Inspiration from Will Baddeley - Buxus Will10

Inspiration from Will Baddeley - Buxus Will_110
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Inspiration from Will Baddeley - Buxus Empty Khamraj,s Buxus

Post  moyogijohn Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:20 pm

Khamraj,,,How tall is your new boxwood???? Will they grow fast for you the way everything else does?? Here they grow slow so you need to find one with a good trunk and cut the limbs back..maybe it will thicken up for you down there..i have 2 i am working with but like i say here they are slow..Show me your plans ok?? take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Inspiration from Will Baddeley - Buxus Empty Re: Inspiration from Will Baddeley - Buxus

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:32 pm

John,

I must say you are very kind, and I thank you. Smile

They are about 11 inches [ 28 cm ] or so in height. There were three, but one died. They were planted in mud, and two were transplanted and as typed one died, the last is still in the mud. I hope to just learn how to keep them healthy, as this is a new shrub to me.

The nursery where they came from, were very quiet about where they come from, but I was told the mother plants are over 50 years old and are local. So apparently boxwood can grow down here as well. It always amazes me what can grow in the tropics.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Inspiration from Will Baddeley - Buxus Empty Khamraj,s Buxus

Post  moyogijohn Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:47 am

Khamraj,,Thank you,everyone here is very nice to me also..If you are going to grow them out,plant them in your good soil..my opion i would wash the mud from the root ball first....they will take a good root pruning because here the roots are really fiborus..i hope they do well for you..keep us posted ok take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Inspiration from Will Baddeley - Buxus Empty Re: Inspiration from Will Baddeley - Buxus

Post  fiona Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:04 am

Just check you're talking about the same plant. I have in my head that there may be a difference between what we might call Box(wood) here (Buxus sempervirens) and what you guys call Box or Boxwood across the pond as I sem to remember this from previous threads on here.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:56 am

Hello Fiona,

this is supposed to be Buxus, not sure what the second part is though.
Hope that helps.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:40 pm

John,

I just checked my notes on Illex vomitoria, the Yaupon holly. I have several from over the last 3 or 4 years and one from many years ago. The ones from just a few years ago were also from the same nursery I got the Buxus, and in the same mud.

It took a fertilizing for a whole year for the shrubs to get enough strength to survive the root washing and re-potting. I lost 2 along the way, when I first tried to just repot.[ Of the Illex.]

Seems the Buxus may be having the same response.
They might be able to survive in the mud, but not enough strength to survive a repotting. So I will start the last Buxus on a fertilizer programme, before I try a change of soil.

Only 3 of the Buxus, were tall and elegant, the rest were short /squat and difficult to imagine as trees,
I saw them more as shrubs or mini hedges.
I think they might make tall/ slim and elegant trees, rather than thick trunks. Will keep you informed.
Apologies for the late reply.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down