Rare species of bonsai

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Rare species of bonsai

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:46 pm

Brett,

if you do a search on Ebay, you will see what will happen with the Silk cotton. Don't mean to be a kill joy, I grew that tree years ago. Why not invest your time in a Tamarind or Calliandra?
Whatever you decide, best to you.
Khaimraj

* Hee hee ask me some time about the Bursera s.[ Naked Indian ] and Guaiacum o.[Lignum vitae ] ha ha.

Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:10 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Brett,

if you do a search on Ebay, you will see what will happen with the Silk cotton. Don't mean to be a kill joy, I grew that tree years ago. Why not invest your time in a Tamarind or Calliandra?
Whatever you decide, best to you.
Khaimraj

* Hee hee ask me some time about the Bursera s.[ Naked Indian ] and Guaiacum o.[Lignum vitae ] ha ha.

...yes, you are a "kill joy" Khaimraj! let the man explore the other trees. If the tree died then its dead but at least he tried...I also tried it to know success, but I am glad I did. Who knows he might succeed.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Summers on Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:53 pm

Thanks Guy's
I did a google search for the silk cotton bonsai and I think I found the image you are talking about Khaimraj. Can't upload pics at the moment the server is down or something Question But here is a link
http://www.bizrate.com/plants-trees/silk-cotton-tree-10-seeds-ceiba-tropical-or-bonsai--pid1793844369/

Looks like something my mate Pol would like bom Is interesting because now I know what to avoid. Maybe I will grow them in what I call Veranda tree style. Large interesting trees that sit in a pot on the veranda but can't really be called Bonsai Laughing A large Forrest could be an interesting veranda tree.
Then agian maybe I try something different and keep them all in a small pot and see what happens?
Kind regards
Brett

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:00 am

Yes Brett,

but remember that is the immature form.

The spikes go as the tree ages - http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/97715815.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F593D0851F147B3F456D8E834DA660EE2A19BBA3764D3A31DF

Until.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Summers on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:44 am

Hi Khaimraj
I can not get the link you gave to work? But here is a picture of the parent tree of my seedlings the spikes do not seem to be going as the tree ages.

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:56 am

Brett Summers wrote:Another is silk floss tree or Ceiba speciosa. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceiba_speciosa I believe they are related to the Baobab tree. I bought the seeds of EBay a few years ago. Still trying to learn the care for them. The first year they where fine in the shade house over Winter but last year the cold gave them trouble as well. They have recovered well now but I am still a little apprehensive in treating them too hard. I did give them a light trim today.
I reckon they would make a cool looking forest with those prehistoric trunk thorns. Cool

You can see a couple that seem dead. Although one has refused to bud out agian for two years it is still green under the bark?

I could've sworn these were Pachira aquatica, Money tree. The leaves look just like them. The thorns are basically the only difference.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Summers on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:58 am

Oh I just found another as bonsai. That's more like it Very Happy

From Bonsai Argento
http://bonsaiargento.blogspot.com/2008/11/felab-2008-la-expo-la-de-afuera.html

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Summers on Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:09 am

Hi Ryan I would say they are definatly Chorisia speciosa here is the Ebay seller I got the seeds from

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RARE-SILK-FLOSS-TREE-BONSAI-CHORISIA-AWESOME-/390259023760?pt=AU_Plants_Seeds_Bulbs&hash=item5add401f90

I just had a browse through the rest of the trees on Bonsai Argento. It seems they have several species not often used in Bonsai and some very interesting trees. Also a few more Chorisia speciosa Bonsai.

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Summers on Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:45 am

Here is a page of many cotton tree bonsai. They use the common name Palo borracho
http://www.bonsaiwu.com.ar/galeria/autoctono/

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Post  craigw on Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:48 am

Hi Guys, Erythrina are often seen as garden trees in warmer climates and the really good ones are always coppiced. I have seen lots of them in the northern parts of New Zealand they are certainly spectacular plants.
Craigw

craigw

Back to top Go down

Post  Arno on Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:21 am

Hope this worked, My first pic posting! This is my Kiawe I meant to put it on a couple days ago, but been busy.
Im pretty new to Bonsai, still lacking in the finer points, so all suggestions and or virtuals are welcome
Arno

Arno

Back to top Go down

rare species of bonsai

Post  sunip on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:37 pm

I have about 3 years (after seeing this in the greenhouses of Kew gardens), a Corokia Cotoneaster has somebody experience with that species?
And another one; i have a 30 years old Hydrangea petiolaris for 3 years in pot.

Regards, Sunip

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:45 pm

Arno wrote: ... ... This is my Kiawe I meant to put it on a couple days ago, but been busy.
... ...
This is a lot similar to Acacia species, isn't it?

my nellie

Back to top Go down

rare species of bonsai

Post  sunip on Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:56 pm

Hi Ravi and Iris,

I am trying a Buddleya davi Black Knight,
just because of that amazing deep color, i found one in the nursery with a nice trunk.
See where it gets.
sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran on Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:27 pm

Hi Sunip,

All the best... ThumbsUp

Ravi

Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next