Rare species of bonsai

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Rare species of bonsai

Post  lordy on Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:51 pm

This "antique" rose belongs to a fellow club member. He said he dug it from his childhood home and estimates it's age at nearly 50 years. Sorry my photo of it is lacking.

lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  giga on Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:49 pm

here's the 9 bark diablo that has just started training-6" base

red mangrove-don't mind why it dosn't look like a bonsai it's going to be going in my reef aquarium as a center piece in my house

black mangrove just starting to recover

giga

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:44 pm

Ravi Kiran wrote:Hi Jun,

Thanks for starting an inspiring thread. As you have clarified it is a list of trees which are unusual in Bonsai. I don't think that any of them should be endangered either as a species or in the wild. If they are then we perhaps are placing ourselves in an awkward position. Here are two tree from my collection

The first tree is called Buddleja Saligna or Butterfly Bush is its common name. I have not seen anyone use it as a bonsai. When I landed the material it looked very interesting and hence the adventure. As is apparent from the pic the tree has ages to go before being called a proper bonsai. Right now I am waiting for the individual branches to thicken and once that happens I will work on the branch ramification. The styling is what Robert Steven would call an elevated raft style. It is also unusual and unconventional. The tree below...

The second is a species called Prosopis spicigera. In India(atleast in South India) it is called BANNI. It has a lot of religious significance and has a prominent mention in the hindu epic Mahabharatha. This tree again is still under training as a Shohin. The branch ramification has still a long way to go. I would not normally share pics of such unfinished trees but since this thread was about unusual species, I am posting these images. The tree

Regards
Ravi

Hi Ravi,

That first tree is not a saligna. Saligna's, commonly known in South Africa as Wit Olienhout or False Olive, are used widely in the local bonsai scene. The one you have there must be one of the other Buddlejas, but it's difficult to tell from the photo.

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Rare Species

Post  bonsaisr on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:28 pm

Andrew Legg wrote:

The second is a species called Prosopis spicigera. In India(atleast in South India) it is called BANNI. It has a lot of religious significance and has a prominent mention in the hindu epic Mahabharatha. This tree again is still under training as a Shohin.
In the US, members of the genus Prosopis are called mesquite. The native species are found throughout the Southwest, especially in chaparral communities (= Mediterranean maquis). The aromatic wood is prized for barbecuing. Because they are so gnarled & picturesque, Western bonsai growers have been trying to tame mesquite for years, with only sporadic success. They have a very long taproot & do not like being in a pot.
The Israeli species is P. farcta, also naturalized here. I don't know if Israeli growers use it for bonsai.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:44 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum