yamadori Privet

View previous topic View next topic Go down

yamadori Privet

Post  JohnOstranica on Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:19 pm

I collected this a while ago and would like some advise on which way to go with it now ? thanks ....John


JohnOstranica
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: yamadori Privet

Post  JimLewis on Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:01 pm

Wow! Handle with care. That's a keeper! If it weren't almost impossible to cram a rock under mature roots and make it look natural, this would make a great root-over-rock bonsai. As is, the roots will be the major attraction for this plant for a good while, so an exposed root style wold be called for.

You don't give us a hint on where you live, or your bonsai background, but this one is worth getting local help on if you feel you need it.

Have fun.

_________________
Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: yamadori Privet

Post  Lee Brindley on Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:35 am

JimLewis wrote:Wow! Handle with care. That's a keeper! If it weren't almost impossible to cram a rock under mature roots and make it look natural, this would make a great root-over-rock bonsai. As is, the roots will be the major attraction for this plant for a good while, so an exposed root style wold be called for.

You don't give us a hint on where you live, or your bonsai background, but this one is worth getting local help on if you feel you need it.

Have fun.

Jim, I believe that is tuffa rock already under the roots.
Looking good John! Very Happy

Lee Brindley
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: yamadori Privet

Post  JohnOstranica on Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:52 am

Cheers Jim , I live in the north of England .

I attached this tree to a piece of tufa and burried it a couple of seasons back and have now dug it out ,it is growing well on there .It is the styling of the tree that I am wanting advise on thanks ...John

Hi Lee , I have my eye on a couple of trees now the hawking has finnished , ring me and we can get out collecting ....Osky

JohnOstranica
Member


Back to top Go down

Yamadori Privet

Post  bonsaisr on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:28 am

Would the administration please correct the spelling on the title. Some of our ESL members may get very confused.
Iris

bonsaisr
Member


Back to top Go down

Yamadori Privet?

Post  Guest on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:48 am

Neither Yamadori or a Private. I should imagine the Privet is from a garden? Nonetheless... A very fine root over rock in the making and it sits extremely well for a tree planted only two years ago. The branches need pruning back a lot harder and any resulting shoots wired within the fist year. The large trunk chop needs hollowing too.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: yamadori Privet

Post  JohnOstranica on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:56 am

will baddeley wrote:Neither Yamadori or a Private. I should imagine the Privet is from a garden? Nonetheless... A very fine root over rock in the making and it sits extremely well for a tree planted only two years ago. The branches need pruning back a lot harder and any resulting shoots wired within the fist year. The large trunk chop needs hollowing too.

Thanks Will , It was collected from and old railway bank .....John

JohnOstranica
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: yamadori Privet

Post  Guest on Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:29 pm

Hello John. If you cut those branches back leaving a half inch stub, you should be rewarded with lots of new buds to play with. Privet is very good at budding from old wood. Very Happy

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: yamadori Privet

Post  JohnOstranica on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:26 pm

will baddeley wrote:Hello John. If you cut those branches back leaving a half inch stub, you should be rewarded with lots of new buds to play with. Privet is very good at budding from old wood. Very Happy


Cheers Will I will do that and try to update later in the season ....John

JohnOstranica
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: yamadori Privet

Post  JohnOstranica on Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:11 pm

Here is another privet that I will do some carving on ....John


JohnOstranica
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: yamadori Privet

Post  Lee Brindley on Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:47 pm

JohnOstranica wrote:Here is another privet that I will do some carving on ....John


I like that one John. More attractive than the root-over-rock to my eye.

ATB, Lee.

Lee Brindley
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: yamadori Privet

Post  jersanct on Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:48 am

Nice privets, John - I took several from an old hedge a few years ago, and I'm surprised that we see so few of them as bonsai, considering how many great specimens must be sitting around in old hedges around the world. As you know, they recover from collection and potting almost immediately, and it is very easy to develop them quickly, with multiple cycles of wiring and pruning each growing season. Is there some reason for their lack of popularity, I wonder?

jersanct
Member


Back to top Go down

yamadori Privet

Post  Guest on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:34 am

Hello Chris. I would say that Privet is a popular specie for bonsai in the UK. From the 1920's to the 60's, most housing estates were planted with Privet hedges. We have a huge amount of material on our doorstep....so to speak.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: yamadori Privet

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:01 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum