group aesthetics.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

group aesthetics.

Post  bobby little on Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:26 pm

The long suffering long term users of this board will know that I've been clarting about with larch for a group for some time. Going to plant it up this spring. Question is that I have a range of sizes of material. Two little fellas that lean prodifgiously to one side are sorted for either end, but I have a number of tall skinny ones and some shorter fatter trunked ones. My understanding is that the taller ones need to go to the front and the shorter to the rear to provide a sense of depth. However, the thickness of the trunks is marked. Will this bugger the whole vibe up?

bobby little

Back to top Go down

Re: group aesthetics.

Post  Guest on Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:05 pm

Bobby, if you can post the picture of the trees it might be easier to visualized the proportion...its not always the case that the smallest one is perfect on the back.

regards,
jun Smile

Last edited by jun on Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  geoff on Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi Bobby,
The smaller trees are generally placed at the back to give perspective, but also the thicker the truck, the taller the tree should be. Perhaps you could wire a top branch up and make new leaders for the stubbier trees and grow them taller.
Regards Geoff

geoff

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little on Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:20 pm

geoff wrote:Hi Bobby,
The smaller trees are generally placed at the back to give perspective, but also the thicker the truck, the taller the tree should be. Perhaps you could wire a top branch up and make new leaders for the stubbier trees and grow them taller.
Regards Geoff

or I could chop a bit off the top of the tall skinny ones?

bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  geoff on Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:44 pm

You could, it depends on what you want the overall height of the forest to be. But you may want to increase the height of the stubby trees to give them better taper.

geoff

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:36 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum