Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chinese influence on Forestry commission Larch

+20
andretoledo
will baddeley
Albert Ward
alex e
mesabax
steve05412
gman
Russell Coker
john5555leonard
Todd Ellis
Rob Kempinski
Dave Martin
Hans van Meer.
my nellie
Smithy
RKatzin
jgeanangel
pongsatorn.k
Pavel Slovák
mr treevolution
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Chinese influence on Forestry commission Larch Empty Chinese influence on Forestry commission Larch

Post  Guest Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:40 pm

Thought I'd try something different with this forest planted Larch. Collected 4 years ago, it was heavily reduced 2 years ago.Chinese influence on Forestry commission Larch Img_1111

Back to top Go down

Chinese influence on Forestry commission Larch Empty Chinese influence on Forestry commission Larch

Post  Guest Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:44 pm

When the reduction was made, the new leader was wired upwards and the primary branches placed.Chinese influence on Forestry commission Larch Img_1112

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:49 pm

The top was allowed to grow unchecked and helped the calous to form. Larch heal very quickly.Chinese influence on Forestry commission Larch Img_1113

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:54 pm

The top was reduced and the whole tree wired. Sorry for the poor pics as they were taken indoors this evening.Chinese influence on Forestry commission Larch Img_1114

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:00 pm

Put some pics on last night but they were pants. Here are three I took this morning.Chinese influence on Forestry commission Larch Img_1110

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:02 pm

Chinese influence on Forestry commission Larch Img_1111

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:06 pm

This is my prefered front. I may introduce a shari at some point, and jin some of the branches once they have matured.Chinese influence on Forestry commission Larch Img_1112

Back to top Go down

Chinese influence on Forestry commission Larch Empty Re: Chinese influence on Forestry commission Larch

Post  mr treevolution Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:08 pm

Like it !
Regards snd happy new year
Nick

mr treevolution

Back to top Go down

Chinese influence on Forestry commission Larch Empty Re: Chinese influence on Forestry commission Larch

Post  Pavel Slovák Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:08 pm

Hi Will

nice and interesting result. Very Happy ThumbsUp
The construction of crowns for me a bit unusual. Just keeping fine branches. You'll have to remove some of the spring?

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:12 pm

Thanks Pavel. As I said, I will introduce deadwood in the trunk and branches.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:17 pm

Thanks Will. Sorry, I did not read well. Embarassed

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:22 pm

No need to apologise Pavel Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  pongsatorn.k Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:30 pm

I like it Will, very nice result Very Happy

Happy new year Bagpiper
pongsatorn.k
pongsatorn.k

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:26 pm

I like your efforts Will. I wonder why the wind changed directions? any thoughts...?
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:51 pm

Hello John. I thought this question might come up. Personally I like to see some movement the other way as It gives a sense of balance and shows some struggle, resistance and tension against the weather. I think this has been argued before that all windswept should lean in one direction from the roots up. Just personal choice I guess. Heres one of the Chinese images that inspired this Larch. Note the tree on the right leans into the wind. More dynamic I think.Chinese influence on Forestry commission Larch Windsw10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:56 pm

Dear Will
It looks very nice...but the tree is not pointing in the direction the wind told it to grow in the beginning.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:10 pm

Hello Yvonne. Thankyou for your comments. Please go back to my last post for an explanation. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:20 pm

Dear Will

You have every right to be the artist, but this chinese group planting, and your tree does not work for me.
You make very nice bonsai, and I do admire your work Smile .

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:15 pm

Hi Will, I hope I'm not to bold, commenting on your work (I'm a big fan BTW), but this is a bit out of your normal stride, kudos for bravery and all. I do realize it's in progress and I just wanted to say that I've seen trees like this out in the woods, where one gets rooted beside a rock and grows up the side of the rock as natural forces push all the branches and foliage the other way. All sorts of deeds going on out in the wilds so who's to say it ain't so. It looks like this tree grew from the cleft of a rock or such and looks kind of undressed without the rock. Such nice branchwork on a rather plain trunk, like the trunk was more protected over time then the exposed top. Ok, how many times have I mentioned rock so far, quit beating around the bush (no pun intended), I think it needs a rock. There I've said it.
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:39 pm

This tree has its main trunk going into the wind

Chinese influence on Forestry commission Larch IMG_6658
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:39 pm

Hello RKatzin. When you say it needs a rock do you mean thrown at it? Very Happy That could be a good idea but the tree is quite tall and the rock would be very heavy. This Larch looks young in the trunk at the moment, but has started to age. It was an experiment in branch placement for windswept and I will study and hopefully resolve some issues over the coming years.

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:54 am

Will, I was taught as a lad that rocks are not for throwing, and like any good lad I tossed more than my share, but I certainly was not suggesting such a thing. It's a rare opportunity when an artist shows you his raw sketches and I personally appreciate it, having often asked, "How do they do that?" I'm looking forward to seeing how the tree develops. As always, I'm inspired. Smile

Smitty, that's a gnarly old tree and an interesting study in how opposing forces can shape a tree. This tree sits in a westward wind, pushing everything to the right in the pic, while each morning the rising sun pulls the branches to the east. You can see the conflict in the double re-curved branches throughout the tree, a great display of strength and power. The other force at work here is gravity, in the form of seasonal snow load. The wind may have set the motion, but the snow cast the form, so to speak. Boy! Wouldn't you love to go through it with a pair of loppers!
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:48 am

I was about to ask the same question yesterday...
Yvonne Graubaek wrote: ... ...but the tree is not pointing in the direction the wind told it to grow in the beginning... ...
Then I looked at the image with my eyes half closed, trying to focus on some natural laws and I came to the same conclusion...
will baddeley wrote: ... ...It gives a sense of balance and shows some struggle, resistance and tension against the weather. ... ...
I noticed also that the two roots at the right side seem to give a firm anchor to the tree. Don't they?
All these from the view of a beginner..., with your kind permission Embarassed
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:58 pm

will baddeley wrote:Hello John. I thought this question might come up. Personally I like to see some movement the other way as It gives a sense of balance and shows some struggle, resistance and tension against the weather. I think this has been argued before that all windswept should lean in one direction from the roots up. Just personal choice I guess. Heres one of the Chinese images that inspired this Larch. Note the tree on the right leans into the wind. More dynamic I think.Chinese influence on Forestry commission Larch Windsw10

Thanks for sharing your thinking on this Will. I appreciate that you have thought this through and have an artistic opinion. Personally I am a little wishy washy on the matter and I wonder if being "out of balance" might be ok and almost necessary in some respect for an effective windswept composition. As usual it comes down to a personal decision/preference about what is more important to the composition in question.
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:28 pm

jgeanangel wrote:I like your efforts Will. I wonder why the wind changed directions? any thoughts...?
John

It did not change, this is what can happen to a Larch growing on a mountain side or on the top of a mountain that is battered by the seasonal winds, like in this picture of a larch growing in just such a place! Trees growing in a place like this can grow for a large part to one side, until they reach the hight were the seasonal winds are much stronger, than they are forced to grow to the other side

Chinese influence on Forestry commission Larch Larch_10

Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next