Pyracantha Leaves

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pyracantha Leaves

Post  bonsai monkey on Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:26 pm

For someone who has never had any problems apart from mildew in the 15 years that I've been growing Bonsai I supposed I was due a few problems Evil or Very Mad

The new growth on my Pyracantha, which was growing well, has now turned yellow/brown and the leaves are now starting to srivel up. Any ideas?

This tree was not re-potted this year and was growing well so I did give it a light feed a couple of weeks ago. Could it be a case of tooo much too soon?

BTWThis tree is on the same shelf and only about 6inches away from my suffering Crab Apple
(see different thread). A connection?

bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Re: Pyracantha Leaves

Post  JimLewis on Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:40 pm

Can we see a picture? Was there any transition from green to brown? Did you have a sudden cold snap?

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi Jim,
I'll try and post a picture in the morning. The weather has not been to bad at all apart from the fact that it has been very wet in the last few days.

The fresh new growth started out the nice vibrant green, the leaves started to unfurl and fill out and then "ban" started to get dark brown marks and are now begining to droop. On closer inspection it seems to have affected the emerging flower heads as well.

What I am finding more of a worry is that this tree, my Crab Apple and I have now noticed my Larch are all showing signs of "not feeling well", they all stood side by side on my display bench and all the "damage" is at the back. I do rotate my trees every 2 weeks and there is plenty of air circulation to the rear area. The balance of my trees on the same shelf all seem OK but I have moved the poorly ones elsewhere in the garden and with a bit more shelter from the rain.

I hope that this is of help & I'll get the pics ASAP,
Regards,
Simon

bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Damaged Trees

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:32 pm

Any cats around?

Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:58 pm

Both the Pyracantha and the crab apple are susceptible to fire blight, I believe, but I don't think those are the right symptoms.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Nina on Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:13 pm

See my response to the crabapple post, where I discuss fire blight. Larch, I should mention, are not susceptible to fire blight, so it's possible that you have some environmental problem, like cold or wind, causing these problems. Or cats. However, I'd really be worried about fire blight. Rule that out, and you're probably OK.

Nina

Back to top Go down

Pictures

Post  bonsai monkey on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:05 am

Hi Jim/Nina,
Thanx for your help. Herewith the images I said that I would post. I'm now pretty sure it's fire blight as we haven't had any frost to speak of for quite a while.

I was a bit stupid as I left this tree as I thought first of all it was wind damage causing the brown marks.
I will be more careful next time No

bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Nina on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:45 am

Your crabapple pictures could show fire blight (again, it would be so easy if I were there with a plate of culture media! I could tell you in a couple of days). This, however, is very nondescript. It could be anything.

Thank you so much for taking pictures, however. It's a tremendous help!

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:35 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum