Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Penang Island Bonsai Competition 2010 Dec (Malaysia)

+25
chucitdlu
bonsaivietnam
shimsuki
roykoibon
dorothy7774
xuan le
moyogijohn
bonsaisr
bigbabol
theBalance
Russell Coker
ogi uyehara
Budi Sulistyo
Albert Kanbou
Rob Kempinski
kauaibonsai
Jonas Freeman
ArtAtkinson
jrodriguez
Storm
cosmos
Jerry Meislik
JimLewis
Khaimraj Seepersad
xuang26
29 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Penang Island Bonsai Competition 2010 Dec  (Malaysia) - Page 2 Empty penang island bonsai competition 2010 malaysia

Post  moyogijohn Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:53 pm

You have posted some beatiful trees from this competition!!!! I wish i could go there and just walk around until i could walk no more...thank you for showing such a nice show.you are lucky!!!! take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Penang Island Bonsai Competition 2010 Dec  (Malaysia) - Page 2 Empty Re: Penang Island Bonsai Competition 2010 Dec (Malaysia)

Post  xuan le Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:45 pm

There are so many outstanding trees, the judges must have hard time choosing the best tree for the Gold medal, I wonder which one? I see some Silver and Bronze ones
Regarding the stands I agree with ArtAtkinson that not every one paticipating in the show can afford a stand, beside it was an open air show in a tropical setting.
Xuan

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Penang Island Bonsai Competition 2010 Dec  (Malaysia) - Page 2 Empty Re: Penang Island Bonsai Competition 2010 Dec (Malaysia)

Post  dorothy7774 Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:12 pm

Awesome trees, indeed! Thanks much for posting the pics. By the way, considering the rain ( or wet conditions), I would not display my tree on a stand either.. Wink

-dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Penang Island Bonsai Competition 2010 Dec  (Malaysia) - Page 2 Empty penang island bonsai competition 2010 malaysia

Post  roykoibon Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:52 pm

confused Congrats to the state government for organising such a stupendous competition as part of the "Visit Penang 2010-2012 campaign." I was fortunate to visit the competition but rather disappointed with the outcome of some bonsai categories. Many competitors were disgruntled and dismayed to learn that a particular competitor monopolised the competition as his so-called prize-winning plants were purchased from the judges! The three so-called judges were inconsistent in their judgement as when cornered to give acceptable reasons for their actions. Just scrutinise the champion large wrightia religosa in forest style planting; there's no primary trunk to focus and lead other secondary ones. It's all in disarray and tatters and ought to be sidelined for mere exhibition instead. The small wrightia religosa champion too smacks of suspicion; an immature young tree as compared the many other matured and majestic ones which were even champions in Ipoh, Kuala Lumpur and Johor bonsai competitons! I sincerely hope efforts are forthcoming to invite more professional judges-preferably from Taiwan and China as it's supposed to be an international competition aka event. Likewise, the adeniums too are far from satisfactory and as usual the winners would buy or import from Thailand, or adenium dealers. It's high time to promote the hobby to include mere beings who are bonsai and adenium enthusiasts;period.
roykoibon
roykoibon

Back to top Go down

Post  shimsuki Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:56 pm

What type of Juniper are those???
shimsuki
shimsuki

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaivietnam Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:16 am

Penang Island Bonsai Competition 2010 Dec  (Malaysia) - Page 2 Dscn4430
I like him,very much
thanks for sharing

bonsaivietnam

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:29 am

Many very nice and impressing trees indeed. Amazing twisting trunks on those junipers.

I (as some may have noticed) speaks for the traditional way of displaying bonsai, because it levels them to full beauty and tells the full history.
Elevating the bonsai above the ground using a table is part of setting up the bonsai to be something not ordinary. It is an artistic and not at least aesthetic element enhancing the beauty of the bonsai. Added scroll and accents expands this further when appropriate.
I also dislike the use of signs put in the pots (and the red and yellow small stickers at the pots), but clearly there is another tradition in how bonsai are shown here. I still like many of the trees though.
Thanks for sharing.

Regards
Morten

Back to top Go down

Post  chucitdlu Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:32 pm

very nice. cheers cheers cheers

chucitdlu

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Doiron Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:19 pm

Thank you so much for posting all of these pictures it must have taken quite a while. I kept seeing trees in the background thinking, " oh I really want to see that one", and sure enough there would be a picture of it so I really appreciate seeing so many of them. I was really impressed with the boxwood and the mulberry. Mulberry are everywhere here I have to go dig one now. Thanks again
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  ndleong Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:29 am

Is always very fascinating when seeing well trained bonsai on parade. At the same time also make me wonders when will my collection reach that kind of standard especially on the trunck size. Sad
ndleong
ndleong

Back to top Go down

Penang Island Bonsai Competition 2010 Dec  (Malaysia) - Page 2 Empty Penang Island Bonsai Competition 2010 Dec (Malaysia)

Post  Ka Pabling Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:24 am

Fascinating trees, thanks for sharing.

You named almost al the trees, for me this is how it should be done, The other guy who does this is
my friend Jose Luis.

I agree with Jim that trees should be displayed with stands during competitions but if the owners is willing to take the risk of getting deductions for not using stands, that is his call.
Ka Pabling
Ka Pabling

Back to top Go down

Post  iben Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:35 am

wow... thumbs up
iben
iben

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2