Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murraya paniculata subspecies - Bonsai

5 posters

Go down

Murraya paniculata subspecies - Bonsai  Empty Murraya paniculata subspecies - Bonsai

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:04 pm

This is important to me, but not important enough for the Bonsai Forum.

I found this seedling a few months ago and it has remained with these small leaves and seems to branch more than the standard Murraya [ Satinwood / Sweet Lime ] presently 15 inches tall [ 38 cm ]

Here is a leaf comparison.
Anyone seen this before ?

Will have an image of the whole shrub next week.
Khaimraj

Murraya paniculata subspecies - Bonsai  Murray10
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Murraya paniculata subspecies - Bonsai  Empty Re: Murraya paniculata subspecies - Bonsai

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:00 pm

Hi Khaimraj,
Were there other seedlings around this one with larger leaves? Looks like you may have found a mutation.
Best, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Murraya paniculata subspecies - Bonsai  Empty Re: Murraya paniculata subspecies - Bonsai

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:14 pm

Todd,

this was one of 10 or so trees in mud in black plastic bags being offered for sale by a plant nursery. It was the odd man out, and I got so excited I ran to the cashier to make my $10.00 TT [ $1.60 US ] purchase. I felt like I had re-found Zuisho, and even now I have my heart in mouth watching the shrub grow. I hope the mutation is stable and not just a fluke.

Next year, I take cuttings to protect the future. Then I will spread it out to as many as I can, to ensure survival. I don't want this to be another - Ligustrum affair - my ligustrum was the last on the island, and died after the great parasol ant [ Bachac ] massacre.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:18 pm

It will be interesting to see whether the leaf size stays the same once the tree is in the ground or in pots and out of the nursery mud.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:37 pm

Jim,

it is out of the 4 inch [ 10 cm ] plastic bag, washed clean of the mud and in my bonsai soil mix with a 1 gallon pot.
I did that one month after the purchase.
If the shrub can root bind the 1 gallon quantity of soil, I will advance it to a 2 gallon pot.

I do that by simply adding say 3 to 4 inches [7.5 to 10 cm ] of soil at the bottom of the pot and resting the root bound mass on top of the soil mix. I then place broken halves of solid brick around the empty spaces in the pot. Every two months filling another 3 to 4 inches, and allowing the roots to dominate the soil, until I reach the top.
This prevents the plant "drowning" in too much soil.[ a variation on Yvonne G's technique.]
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Markus Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:35 pm

Khaimraj, a few years ago a new murraya paniculata called Min a Min was released onto the Australian market, not at all sure if it's available overseas, but the leaves are incredibly small and the shrub itself evidently only reaches 1m x 1m. I wonder if your seedling is one and the same?
Markus
Markus

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:02 pm

Markus,

I wouldn't know?? Murraya paniculata and exotica have been on this island long before I was born, and it's unlikely that anyone would import seed.

However, it's makes my heart glad, that what I have is not the only one. I have been through that cycle a few times and it is not pleasant.

Well if anyone makes a bonsai out of it, could you post an image.
Thanks in advance.
Khaimraj

* Ha ha - my rabbit's nick name is Bun a Bun [ his full name is - Bun-e-Lava ]
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:42 pm

As promised, the specimen ------

Murraya paniculata subspecies - Bonsai  Murray11
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:44 pm

A local bonsai friend gave me a M. paniculata seedling 2 years ago. They grow REALLY slow!

This is what it looked like shortly after I received it:

Murraya paniculata subspecies - Bonsai  P8210012

The most recent photo of it:

Murraya paniculata subspecies - Bonsai  Photo010 (Sorry, it's a little blurry.)

It is currently 14 cm tall.

Jay

Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:25 pm

Jay,

don't fuss yourself, Murraya paniculata, is very slow to trunk thicken, and a slow grower, when compared to other trees down here. However the wood is very hard and durable and the flowers wonderful of scent.

At home here, I have one fully grown shrub, but I don't allow the canopy to spread too much as it will kill the Seville orange [ great juice and marmalade ]. A chance seedling neighbour up the hill has a hedge and a bird brought the seed.

I can always send you images if that will comfort you, along the road of the long wait.
More power to you for the gumption to keep looking after the child.
Khaimraj

* I will be very busy for about 3 to 4 months and may not be around, but I know where a very old as we call it - sweet lime - has grown, If it is still there, and undamaged, it was a beauty, I will try to get a few images for you to keep you company.
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:12 pm

No fuss at all. As long as it is alive, I will continue to feed, water and shelter it. Maybe someday one of my grandchildren can make something of it.

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down