Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

story of our trees

4 posters

Go down

story of our trees Empty story of our trees

Post  Guest Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:24 am

Hi IBC and IBC guests,

There's a thread in general discussion section,posted by Khaimraj related to this post. I guess it is more appropriate to post it here under a different name and limited in scope. so that guests can read this.
The objective of this post is not to show off amazing trees in our/your collection but rather to help others interpret our works specially for those who are new to bonsai, so that new comers might pick a trick or two, this is not spoon feeding but guiding others.
Most, if not all trees created have stories to tell and sometimes people seeing the trees with virgin eyes (on bonsai) can't easily catch the story behind the creation of the particular tree. There are even threads here with the same spirit as this one but most of the time the viewers/readers were left on their own to interpret the posted work/s and as I have personally experienced on my starting years it is quite difficult to digest the information coming from a displayed tree. sweet discussions here sometimes turns into a brawl of minds and philosophy of designs (I personally were involved ...most of the time).
Most trees with stories to tell usually comes from yamadori but sometimes those coming from seedlings can also create such drama.
also some yamadoris lost its essence if the artists/collector cannot accept the given history offered by a particular yamadori, thus, instead the "maker" (not god) follows the rigid "rules" in bonsai 101...sometimes it works but most of the time the collected tree lost its soul and the finished bonsai turned into just another mediocre tree copied from works of others.

I'm not saying I got the essence of my trees correctly and I would be more than happy if other people can give suggestion/s to give my tree the more pleasing story to tell.

for starter are some phempis design guided by what I thought were the proper story in the journey of my trees....

....I wanted to create a tree design for this one mimicking a phempis clinging for dear life in a cliff by the seashore.

story of our trees Dsc_1820

this tree thriving in an open field by the sea with the branch growth affected by the ocean breeze

story of our trees Dsc_1516

this tree whose main trunk not just one but two attempts in life surrendered the fight with mother nature but tries another luck with new trunk coming from the living part just above the root line.

story of our trees Dsc_2231

I hope I got the message across my viewer...if not let me know of your thoughts on improving the story of my tree.

How about your trees?

regards,
jun

Smile

Back to top Go down

story of our trees Empty Re: story of our trees

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:47 am

Jun,

your trees are beautiful and need no words. In fact if you have done your job correctly, the viewer will be transported to the idea or new ideas, just with one glance.
This is the value of a good plant, size is of no importance.

That said, windswept style is difficult because the leaves as well as the branches follow the wind's direction as it goes past.
Additionally, trees exposed to salt air have leaves that are thicker or bumpier, than those grown inland.

Once again, as usual, good job.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  dave steventon Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:27 pm

hi jun i think the tree in the first picture is fantastic who made the cresent pot ?
dave steventon
dave steventon

Back to top Go down

story of our trees Empty story of our trees

Post  moyogijohn Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:31 am

JUN,,As always you have posted some very good trees..they look as you want them to as trees in nature clinging to survive..the landscape ones are really nice also..i have never tried to do one because i am not that creative.. you keep posting so us that can,t make them can enjoy please..take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:07 am

Khaimraj,

thanks for your kind and wise words.

regards,
jun

John,

thanks. I'm glad like my trees.

regards,
jun

Dave,

thanks.

I made the crescent pot, specially for the this one sided tree.

regards,
jun

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:39 pm

Jun,

I use a different idea behind my trees. Memories. Most of us have climbed, fallen, pelted [ stones , branches ] at tall mango or other fruit trees, slept in the shade, or just relaxed, as well as swung on vines from 100 foot silk cottons and had snakes drop on them, whilst swinging. Noted the seasons change, watched the valencia orange that your father planted mature and bear fruit, long after he has gone. Hung over cliff edges collecting purple clay, tied to a mango tree by a nylon rope. Skirted over 30 foot deep water trying to reach more clay.

You get the idea.

So I just grow a tree and let the viewer react [ hopefully,]

Two Fukien Teas.
Ages unknown, been in my care since 96 or so, birthday and Christmas gifts.

As usual, placement is full sun, and the pots have to be deeper, due to the full canopies.
[Apologies if you seen them before and they have not been pruned since October or so.]

As usual anyone, feel free to say yay or nay.
Khaimraj

story of our trees Fukien10

story of our trees Fukien11

Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom McCue Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:23 am

Jun! Your stories with the trees are very believable. Your work is beautiful. The different styles of the different artists is what makes the forum so interesting. I being a novice learn from every post. I hope someday to have 1/2 the skill of many

Tom
Tom McCue
Tom McCue

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:42 pm

Tom McCue wrote:Jun! Your stories with the trees are very believable. Your work is beautiful. The different styles of the different artists is what makes the forum so interesting. I being a novice learn from every post. I hope someday to have 1/2 the skill of many

Tom

Thank you Tom.

With the guidance of the guy in your avatar you'll be able to find the right path....just always stay away from the dark side.

regards,
jun alien

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down