Cotoneaster King

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cotoneaster King

Post  bonsai monkey on Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:49 pm

Steve McQueen I ain’t but I’m fast becoming know at our Club (if not the IBC) as the “Cotoneaster King” so I’d like to introduce my King of Cotoneasters. This little monster measures 12” tall and a girth of at least half that so it is far and away the largest topiary, opps, sorry, Cotoneaster project I have ever attempted.

I often feel like Captain Hilts from “The Great Escape” stuck in my own little Cooler plotting a way to escape my “sticks in pots” syndrome and produce some trees to be proud of. I’m getting closer but the metaphorical barbed wire on my sunny bonsai hill has so far kept me in check but with better material like this I hope to be over the wire and basking in the artistic freedom that better bonsai will give. Time will tell but it won’t be through lack of trying!!

Although I won’t start on this tree until the New Year, any input/comments would be gratefully accepted,
Kindest Regards,
Simon

bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Cotoneaster King

Post  Guest on Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:05 pm

Well done Simon. Rather than gaining a reputation on the forum, give it too yourself and own it. Cool A certain level of refinement on the middle deadwood would be good. Another pic when the leaves have fallen may help too.

Back to top Go down

Re: Cotoneaster King

Post  JimLewis on Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:21 pm

What a nice tree. I know you've done all the carving on the other side, but I like picture 2 as the front -- with or without the tall deadwood(?) apex.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey on Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:50 pm

Thanks for your comments Gents. The tree should (in the right hands) have an interesting future Wink

will baddeley wrote:Another pic when the leaves have fallen may help too.

ber-dum, ber-dum, ber-dum bounce … are Cotoneasters not evergreen then Will?... ber-dum, ber-dum, ber-dum bounce

bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos on Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:39 pm

bonsai monkey wrote:Thanks for your comments Gents. The tree should (in the right hands) have an interesting future Wink

will baddeley wrote:Another pic when the leaves have fallen may help too.

ber-dum, ber-dum, ber-dum bounce … are Cotoneasters not evergreen then Will?... ber-dum, ber-dum, ber-dum bounce

No they are semi evergreen, warm winter the leaves will stay on, cold winter and the leaves drop, depending on the cultivar aswell.
Peter

landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:05 am

Yes as Peter says, some years when mild they will hang on to their leaves but a Winter like were having now should take care of that. Out of the two pics, I would go with the first.

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey on Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:32 am

I can't take any credit for this tree as these are offering pictures from Graham Potter's excellent website. I should be in receipt of this little guy(!?!?) early in the New Year when Santa coughs up the balance santa

I just was looking for some feedback to make sure I hadn't brought a plum

ber-dum, ber-dum, ber-dum bounce ..........Peter & Will, I was only kidding guys, I've got plenty of bald evergreens at home!! ..........ber-dum, ber-dum, ber-dum bounce

Regards,
CK
(or should that be KC, just waiting for the sunny band!!)

bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski on Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:28 pm

Nice hunk of wood to work.
The first thing I would address is the nebari. I don't know how well these air layer but that folded root ruins the tachigari.
If air layering just above the root is a no go then perhaps grafting roots might be an option. Take cuttings from what you remove and graft them on a year later.
Carving the rest will be simple compared to fixing the roots. Good luck with it.

Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey on Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:25 pm

Hi Rob, Thanks for your valuable input. Nebari, with you – tachigari, now I’m lost!!

This has really opened up a can of Bonsai Worms for me as a) I don’t know and have never air layered any tree before and b) I’ve never taken cuttings or grafted. Mind you, I ain’t too bad at topiary so the foliage should be a breeze!!

Looks like this convict is gunna have to do some serious homework as it seems like I’ve got a lot to learn before I can do the hunk any justice at all. I think I’m gunna need all the Luck I can get,

Regards,
Simon

bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski on Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:57 pm

bonsai monkey wrote:Hi Rob, Thanks for your valuable input. Nebari, with you – tachigari, now I’m lost!!

This has really opened up a can of Bonsai Worms for me as a) I don’t know and have never air layered any tree before and b) I’ve never taken cuttings or grafted. Mind you, I ain’t too bad at topiary so the foliage should be a breeze!!

Sorry about the use of the Japanese words. Normally I advocate use of English on English forums but when a single Japanese word covers a concept they are useful. Nebari means the roots along the surface, while tachigari means the roots to trunk transition.

If you've never air layered, then this might not be the best tree to start. Try layering some simpler trees and get some experience.
The key to air layering is too never let the poultice on the cut dry out.
Grafting is less risk - maybe you can get a fellow club member to help you out that knows how to graft.

Have fun.

Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:33 am

Recently, whilst babysitting whilst my good lady was at a Pole Class, I thought that I would take a poke around at the surface roots to see how the land lied for the following years re-pot. Some of the bark was a bit wet so I had a little rub and the bark came off. This is what happened next..........................

........ Opps!!

bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski on Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:30 pm

That's a stroke of good fortune. You can now continue to refine the dead root with carving and fix the earlier problem I mentioned.
Carving the top should be fun too. Should look really cool with a little effort.

Good luck.

Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

re cottoneaster king

Post  john5555leonard on Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:39 am

hi , nice tree , that variety is conspicuos decorus and is the best type of cottoneaster for bonsai< in my opinion> because they get very big trunks and small leaves, landscapers use them a lot , so if you want to find some more instead of buying < sorry graham> look on inner city sites like old factories or roundabouts , dual carriage ways etc. i had many that i got when the council cleared a dual carriage way . they are a bit tricky when first lifted and prone to die back on the trunk, but once established, strong. my best one came out of an old food factory site and they had landscaped the office block, when it closed down i got permission to dig it up. i,ll never forget because the security guard actually helped me dig it out. regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey on Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:02 pm

Rob Kempinski wrote:That's a stroke of good fortune. You can now continue to refine the dead root with carving and fix the earlier problem I mentioned.
Carving the top should be fun too. Should look really cool with a little effort.

Good luck.

Thanks Rob,
I could do with all the luck I can get at the moment!!
All I've got to do now is learn to carve Crying or Very sad

Ook, Ook,
Simon

bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:14 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum