Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Root over Rock techniques?

2 posters

Go down

Root over Rock techniques? Empty Root over Rock techniques?

Post  Ryan Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:36 am

Hey everyone quick question,

I read an article about an ROR technique that involved planting the tree, after it is secured to the rock, into sharp sand. I've also read about planting it into turface/the likes. What are the pros/cons of sand vs. turface (if there are any)? Thanks!

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Root over Rock techniques? Empty Root over Rock techniques?

Post  Guest Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:16 am

Hello Ryan. The quickest way to produce root over rock is to secure your tree to the rock and plant it in the ground. Wide tape rather than wire or string works best as it is less likely to cut into the roots. By sand, do you mean builders sand? If so, sand tends to compact in a very short space of time.

Back to top Go down

Root over Rock techniques? Empty Re: Root over Rock techniques?

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:16 am

The choice might depend upon the species of tree. Turface holds more water than sharp sand.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:27 am

Thanks Will! The sand mentioned was just "sharp sand", not sure other than that though. I would plant it in the ground, but oddly our ground is already getting hard freezes, making it hard to dig.

Thank you as well Billy. The tree in question is a very small Japanese Maple.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:34 am

Ryan. Just wait until the Spring is here and plant then. Don't rush. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:58 am

will baddeley wrote:Ryan. Just wait until the Spring is here and plant then. Don't rush. Very Happy

Thanks again Will, but anoter issue is location. If I was to plant it in the ground it would only be able to be in full sun. The tree would not be able to cope with that large amount of sun. Decisions, decisions Rolling Eyes

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:15 am

Nearly all my potted trees grow in full sun Ryan. Trees in the ground cope with full sun too.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:21 am

will baddeley wrote:Nearly all my potted trees grow in full sun Ryan. Trees in the ground cope with full sun too.

Well I just said this because in the bright summer day my JRM's always end up losing leaves and looking poor until I move them back into shade. Where I live it gets very hot during the summer. Very hot.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:49 am

Trees in the ground are not subjected to the extremes that trees in pots are. Trees in pots heat up, cool down, get wet and dry out in ways that would not hapen as dramatically as in the soil.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:24 am

Hi Ryan

You can decide to give the pot full shade, and the tree full sun, or semishade....this is what do to all my trees all the time.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:15 am

The species does matter. Many of the Japanese maples are understory trees and naturally grow on the forest floor under larger trees. So, for them semi shade is a good idea.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:15 am

Thanks Yvonne and Billy!

I think that since I am also going for a small, shohin sized tree, that a pot would be less detrimental to its health (having to pull it out of a pot vs. pulling it out of the ground). I'll just use turface as well.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down