Propagating Pyracantha

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Propagating Pyracantha

Post  JimLewis on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:23 pm

Has anyone had success growing Pyracantha from hardwood cuttings? Dirr says softwood cuttings root readily, but I'd like to work with something a bit larger.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@alltel.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Propagating Pyracantha

Post  Guest on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:36 pm

Hello Jim. Pyracantha airlayer very well so hardwood cuttings should be easy too.

Back to top Go down

Re: Propagating Pyracantha

Post  JimLewis on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:04 am

Thanks. I guess I'll give several sizes of cuttings a try next spring. I have this huge, very-small-leaved pyracantha growing behind the house.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@alltel.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:52 am

Jim, I put a few hardwood pyracantha cuttings in the ground (3/8 inch diameter) this Summer from some collected trees. They still have green leaves on them. The soil that they're in is a clay-loam which stay pretty moist. I presume they started to root but won't know for sure until I dig them up next Spring.
Todd

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  bumblebee on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:18 pm

Todd,

Did any of these cuttings take?

Libby

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Post  0soyoung on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:42 pm

JimLewis wrote:Thanks. I guess I'll give several sizes of cuttings a try next spring.

IIRC, Dirr & Heuser recommends taking the cuttings in July - August.

... just sayin'.

0soyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:52 pm

Yes Libby, One was pencil thickness (it is growing well), and the others were approx 1/8 if an inch thick (they are doing well also).

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum