China Boy Holly

View previous topic View next topic Go down

China Boy Holly

Post  Ryan on Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:55 pm

Hey all,

I picked up a China Boy Holly from my local nursery today and I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of it. The tag says Ilex x China Boy 'Mesdob'. Here is the tree as well. It has a trunk of around an inch or so. I plan on chopping it way back in the spring. Comments/advice always welcome. Thanks!

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Re: China Boy Holly

Post  JimLewis on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:25 pm

I can't imagine what you're going to do with that base, Ryan. Branches come out from all over the place -- none of them seem ideal for bonsai.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:30 pm

JimLewis wrote:I can't imagine what you're going to do with that base, Ryan. Branches come out from all over the place -- none of them seem ideal for bonsai.

Thanks Jim. I noticed that too but I figured it would just be a problem to start dealing with in the spring. The really major branch I know I want to remove is the thicker one in the front. That one I saw the most problem with, but figured I cout remove it.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy on Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:32 pm

The variety is one of the more popular holly hybrids for landscaping. Unlike many holly varieties, the China Girl/Boy hibrids are very cold hardy, have nice deep green foliage, and flower profusely, leading to lots of colorful berries in the fall on China Girl. Unfortunately, you've got the boy, so no berries. I'm not sure how it will repond to bonsai culture, as I've never seen this particular type used as a subject.

Dave

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan on Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:17 pm

Anyone know when the proper time to work on a holly like this is? Thanks!

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:25 pm

Now would be fine. But I looked this one up and since this is a hybrid of Ilex cornuta, Chinese holly, wear cast-iron gloves. The leaf spines irritate (understatement) the skin. Keep the Neosporin handy.

Personally, I can't imagine it as a bonsai.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan on Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:00 pm

Thanks Jim, I went ahead and cleaned it up a bit. The leaves actually weren't that bad, which surprised me as I have read they can be irritating as well.
Here is my idea for what I want to do with it. Chop the branches off at the red lines, then maybe have yellow as the leader. Not sure if I want to keep that branch going up and to the right or if I want to cut it off:

Go ahead, criticize away Smile

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:50 pm

Looks fine to me. Scars on a smooth-bark species like this will be there a long time. Matbe this side should be the back after you have chopped.

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:32 pm

JimLewis wrote:Looks fine to me. Scars on a smooth-bark species like this will be there a long time. Matbe this side should be the back after you have chopped.

Thanks Jim!

Not sure if I want this to be the back or not since the trunk would be leaning toward the viewer and I don't believe it would work too well. I'm thinking about wanting to chop back that branch I've marked in yellow, but I have no clue how this holly would respond in regards to back bud....

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:37 pm

since the trunk would be leaning toward the viewer

Err, how does that matter at this point? You can change the planting angle. It will be MANY years before anyone but you will be "viewing" this plant, and many more years before this will (or should) go into a bonsai pot, so that won't be a problem. Those scars WILL be a problem.

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:00 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum