Yew bark and tree not thriving

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Yew bark and tree not thriving

Post  Tony on Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:03 pm

Last year I had a very old Yew die 18 months after collecting. It had thrived for 12 months then became weak. on investigation I discovered that the bark had swollen in one area and had white edges. When touched the 'bark' fell away from the tree and felt soft like 'Mush'. Sad

I have just discovered the same 'mush' on a tree starting from the base that I have had for over 5 years, it was repotted in January this year and has not thrived since the repotting... any ideas... will post photos shortly

‎"Study me as much as you like, you will never know me, for I differ a hundred ways from what you see me to be. Put yourself behind my eyes, and see me as I see myself, for I have chosen to dwell in a place you cannot see." — Rumi

Visit Tony's Bonsai website

If you Tweet?

Tony

Back to top Go down

Re: Yew bark and tree not thriving

Post  Tony on Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:43 am

I decided to take a close look at the problem... after scraping away the mush.. I noted that the area affected had no roots. Due to the tree being in my greenhouse and misted 3 times a day the dead bark could not dry out.. so it rotted away... mystery solved... for now.

‎"Study me as much as you like, you will never know me, for I differ a hundred ways from what you see me to be. Put yourself behind my eyes, and see me as I see myself, for I have chosen to dwell in a place you cannot see." — Rumi

Visit Tony's Bonsai website

If you Tweet?

Tony

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum