Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Digital Cameras for Bonsai

+6
my nellie
Hawaiian77
John Quinn
JimLewis
Billy M. Rhodes
Herb Gustafson
10 posters

Go down

Digital Cameras for Bonsai Empty Digital Cameras for Bonsai

Post  Herb Gustafson Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:52 pm

Kev Bailey responded to my need for tools to send images on this forum. I asked Santa to bring me a Canon Powershot A720 IS listed at $200.
In asterisks below that I requested as an alternative, the stainless steel Hasselblad at $27,499. I'll let Santa choose which one to give me. Any advice from bonsai users?
Herb Gustafson

Herb Gustafson

Back to top Go down

Digital Cameras for Bonsai Empty Re: Digital Cameras for Bonsai

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:47 am

Herb Gustafson wrote:Kev Bailey responded to my need for tools to send images on this forum. I asked Santa to bring me a Canon Powershot A720 IS listed at $200.
In asterisks below that I requested as an alternative, the stainless steel Hasselblad at $27,499. I'll let Santa choose which one to give me. Any advice from bonsai users?
Herb Gustafson

Since the internet and the various brands/quality of monitors reproduce the picture at very much reduced resolution, the $27,499 would be a waste of money. These cameras produce very high quality/resolution photos for print publications like one of your fine books. Now if you are planning to photograph for a book on Bonsai the Hasselblad would be a great investment.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:10 am

But you could suggest to Santa that since you don't want it he could bring the Hasselblad to my house. I'd be willing to trade my old Rolleiflex.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:15 am

Some digital cameras, even inexpensive ones, are capable of really close up shots which would be a real plus. Might take that into consideration.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:19 am

Howzit Herb,

I worked part-time as a wedding photographer and have worked with Hasselblad before. There are great cameras and take beautiful pictures. What makes it so good is that they use Carl Zeiss lenses. Now with digital photography anybody can take good pictures. IMHO, I find that Canon and Nikon makes really good digital cameras and it's a matter of how much you want to pay. If your planning to buy a high end camera look at the type of lens. The better quality of lens, the better the pictures. Hope this helps.

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:38 am

Herb Gustafson wrote:... ... ... I asked Santa to bring me a Canon Powershot A720 IS listed at $200.
... ... ...
John Quinn wrote:Some digital cameras, even inexpensive ones, are capable of really close up shots which would be a real plus. Might take that into consideration.
I have a Canon Powershot much cheaper model than the one you asked Santa to bring and it is doing fine! Macro mode is a plus, as John Quinn noted above.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:47 am

Hello Herb,
I think the hasselblad will be too way off for just taking picture for bonsai,any Conon EOS or Nikon D series will be fine,the build in package lens are quite adequate for it has a macro close-up and ranging 18-70mm.even the panasonic Luminox which comes with a Leica lens is catching up in its popularity.If you like to collect vintage camera,not the digital type.go for the SLR Jim mention the Rolliflex Smile :)i trade that anytime of the day.Hope i help or didn't confuse you more
Regards,
Alex

Last edited by ogie on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:51 am

Hello Herb. I treated myself to a Canon this year and I'm really pleased with it. The Eos 550 D, is an 18 mega pixel camera with capacity for about an hours HD video as well. The camera body is about £500.00.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:03 pm

mine is Nikon D60...less expensive than canon. but serves me well.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  littleart-fx Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:19 pm

Hi!

Cameras for bonsai?

I swaped my digital cannon reflex for a (oly)mpus Pen!
Good one!
Its all the good from a SRL and a compact camera.......with nice macro shots and a good sharp/depth
It has some very nice features i might say.

If u want just a snip snap good camera,....Panasonic DMC-TZ10 nice on hand no trouble shooting device!

Also,...owning one!

If u want a new hobby buy a SRL!
My SRL now is a nikkon D60....don't forget to buy lenses,.....grrr

Hope to have served you,...i'd shoot a penn!

Or a Nikkon i would say,.....8mp and up would do in SLR!

littleart-fx
littleart-fx

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:32 pm

For about a year now, I am using with great pleasure, a Nikon D5000! It scores high in all kind of tests, is relatively sheep and makes color true high quality pictures! But it takes a wile to get used to all the functions it has to offer! But to be honest, I also made great pictures of my trees with my old sheep Kodak power shot camera. It only has 4 mega pixels, but the Carl Zeiss lens made up for that!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:28 am

Hans van Meer. wrote:For about a year now, I am using with great pleasure, a Nikon D5000! It scores high in all kind of tests, is relatively sheep and makes color true high quality pictures! But it takes a wile to get used to all the functions it has to offer! But to be honest, I also made great pictures of my trees with my old sheep Kodak power shot camera. It only has 4 mega pixels, but the Carl Zeiss lens made up for that!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.

Howzit Hans,

Just a note, IMHO Carl Zeiss lens are about the best you can buy. But Canon and Nikon lenses are just as good.

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Digital Cameras for Bonsai Empty Digital cameras for bonsai

Post  Herb Gustafson Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:05 am

Thank you. All of you I guess I'll take the big step.
Still, it seems like I'm too old to learn how to operate it.
Might even have to read the instructions. Darn.
Herb.

Herb Gustafson

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:39 am

You can also find great instructions on the Internet!
Joining a forum would be useful, too.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:41 am

Herb Gustafson wrote:Thank you. All of you I guess I'll take the big step.
Still, it seems like I'm too old to learn how to operate it.
Might even have to read the instructions. Darn.
Herb.

Howzit Herb,

You are never to old to learn new things. It is when we stop learning is when we ceases to live. When I started out in photography my teacher told me this, "To be a good photographer you must see the light".

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:16 am

I have had a Canon EOS for ten years. It does a great job and has what amounts to a point and shoot setting. If you buy from a local camera shop they will be happy to show you how to use it.

I would suggest a flash attachment instead of the on camera flash. Using the on camera flash runs the battery down quickly. Also, depending upon you computer and the camera you buy, you might need an adapter to connect the camera chip to the computer to download you photos. Again some cameras will connect direct to the computer, but this also drains the camera battery.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Digital Cameras for Bonsai Empty My cameras

Post  pmjos Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:29 pm

Hi, I have 3 cameras in the household which get used on bonsai

A compact - Panasonic Lumix - one of the best value small cameras anywhere because it comes with a Leica Lens. It dosen't matter how many pixels you have if you lens isn't up to it. about £200

A Nikon D90 SLR - which is fantastic and all up with a good lens about £850 - incredible detail and control

An Olympus Pen - compact SLR. This is a little gem and takes the most stunning pictures for less than half the cost of the Nikon. It has a beautiful colour balance and it really is superb in low light. Taking pics of bonsai inside requires either a very good flash or a camera which is good at the job. The Olymous Pen remarkable.
pmjos
pmjos

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down