Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai in Aquariums

2 posters

Go down

Bonsai in Aquariums Empty Bonsai in Aquariums

Post  Ryan Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:14 pm

Hey everyone,

Just thought I would share this technique with everyone. I live in a non tropical climate and I have trouble getting aerial roots to form on my trees even when they're outdoors in the summer. So, I came up with a plan. I have set up an aquarium in a bright windowsill in my tree room. I placed a small container of water in the aquarium and placed an ultrasonic humidifier inside of that. The ultrasonic humidifier creates up to 100% humidity inside the tank. I cover the top with plastic wrap, then uncover it by night to allow the flow of fresh air. I have also placed a heating mat underneath of the tank for extra heat. So far after a week of the trees being in the tank, I am already starting to see some aerial roots forming. The most significant are on one of my ficus. It is a Ficus Ginseng and it looks like a potato. Here are some pictures of the project:

Bonsai in Aquariums 005-38
Bonsai in Aquariums 002-49

And here is a video (you have to click on it):
Bonsai in Aquariums Th_061

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited by Ryan on Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Bonsai in Aquariums Empty Re: Bonsai in Aquariums

Post  Storm Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:26 pm

Hey, you say you open it at night? Well, that got me thinking...
If I wash clothes, and I wait too long, leaving me with 2 full racks of clothing drying in my livingroom, my windows the morning after would be soaking in water. The windowsill is also full with water. I also have to use an electric fan oven and the fireplace to have the windows clear. Even from sleeping, my bedroomwindow is wet. Gotta add that I live in a basement. Dont you suffer from too high humidity if you open the tank with that kind of %? Or is it just me who have a problem..? (Again)
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:31 pm

Storm wrote:Hey, you say you open it at night? Well, that got me thinking...
If I wash clothes, and I wait too long, leaving me with 2 full racks of clothing drying in my livingroom, my windows the morning after would be soaking in water. The windowsill is also full with water. I also have to use an electric fan oven and the fireplace to have the windows clear. Even from sleeping, my bedroomwindow is wet. Gotta add that I live in a basement. Dont you suffer from too high humidity if you open the tank with that kind of %? Or is it just me who have a problem..? (Again)

I know what you mean, but I have yet to have a problem with the humidity. They seem to love it. Not so sure what to say about your windowsill though Very Happy

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down