Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Kind of Stand?

3 posters

Go down

What Kind of Stand? Empty What Kind of Stand?

Post  bonsaisr Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:33 pm

Here is my "Little Ollie." In training 8 1/2 years. For those unfamiliar with this cultivar, it was developed as a dwarf, non-fruiting yard tree for California by Monrovia Nursery. Wonderful bonsai subject for under lights in the North.

What Kind of Stand? Little10

It is potted in a 7 inch (18 cm) container carved from Featherock, a type of pumice. I love the combination because it looks like olives cultivated on terraced hillsides in Israel.
Usually I exhibit it on a kiddie show stand made of a slab painted black. About time I upgraded to something better, but I'm not sure what. Last time I had it in a show other than our own club, I put it on a gravel filled suiban. Not a good combination. No
One possible choice at an affordable price is a low oval stand by Jim's Woodworks. http://www.whitehorsepottery.com/jim10/2421teaka.jpg
You can get it with a blackish stain.
I was also thinking of those sliced burl stands you see at the shows, but they are too shiny & the wrong color.
Any other suggestions?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

What Kind of Stand? Empty Re: What Kind of Stand?

Post  ogie Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:40 pm

Hi Iris,
i like what i see but maybe 50% longer? it might enhance more the tree,just a suggestion

Stay well,
Alex
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:26 pm

Go to Michael's. It is a chain that sells by-the-numbers "crafts." We went there to get a picture framed the other day. In their "woodworking" section, I found that they sell various slze (and shape) wooden slabs, with or without pre-bevelled edges. They also sell small blocks or rounds of wood that would do perfectly for short legs.

Some careful sanding, some staining or painting, a little glue for the legs and you will have a "hand-crafted" stand.

I often go to trophy and award stores and buy a few blank walnut-stained plaques. They're 11x13 inches (fine for my small trees) fasten on some legs and have an instant and quite nice low stand.

Here's one:

What Kind of Stand? Plaque10

What Kind of Stand? Plaque11

What Kind of Stand? Plaque12
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

What Kind of Stand? Empty What Kind of Stand?

Post  bonsaisr Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:21 pm

That's a new one. Laughing I expected a suggestion for something I couldn't afford, & they tell me go around the corner to Michael's. I agree with Alex that a rugged looking slab with the bark on might be appropriate. I'll see what they have.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down