Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice on root removal of Hinoki Cypress nursery stock

2 posters

Go down

Advice on root removal of Hinoki Cypress nursery stock Empty Advice on root removal of Hinoki Cypress nursery stock

Post  denkazd Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:33 pm

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any advice on the % of roots to remove during the first repotting of a shohin Hinoki Cypress from nursery stock. The first few cuts were made during the early summer of 2010, and hopefully in the spring I will repot it into an intermediate bonsai container. The picture is of low quality, but hopefully you get a sense of the size of the container; there seems to me to be a lot of unnecessary roots:
Advice on root removal of Hinoki Cypress nursery stock Hinoki10

denkazd

Back to top Go down

Advice on root removal of Hinoki Cypress nursery stock Empty Re: Advice on root removal of Hinoki Cypress nursery stock

Post  JimLewis Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:56 pm

Lot of unnecessary foliage, too. I'd work on getting rid of that excess before you do any more root work in the spring.

As for how much root to take, the standard rule of thumb is about a third, but it depends on the health of the tree and the conditions unde which it will live afterward.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Advice on root removal of Hinoki Cypress nursery stock Empty Re: Advice on root removal of Hinoki Cypress nursery stock

Post  denkazd Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:59 pm

Thank you for the advice. I made drastic cuts this summer and then let it grow free the rest of this year in hopes of not traumatizing it too much. My plan is to do root work and a good wiring/significant styling in the early spring. Would you suggest removing more foliage now before winter sets in or wait until spring?

denkazd

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:02 am

I tend to not want to do root and top work at the same time, so some work now might be appropriate. I'm not a grower of Hinoki, however.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:37 am

I'm with Jim. Wire and style the tree now and then repot in late Spring.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down