Facebook and other joinery stuff on the web?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Facebook and other joinery stuff on the web?

Post  littleart-fx on Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:00 pm

Hi! All!

What is it with facebook twitter and so on?
If i want to join,....i''d put glue to it so it'll stay fixed!

Is a story behind screens without presence a story?
And i mean true?

Don't get me wrong,....i did meet my girl due to the web!
And she is good! Haha!

Where in the world of bonsai,....does presentation stop

opinions please?

Grtzz. Machiel who is installing a stove where 5 chickens can be roasted.....chicken anyone? pirat

littleart-fx

Back to top Go down

Re: Facebook and other joinery stuff on the web?

Post  JimLewis on Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:36 am

There is, of course, no one forcing anyone to join those oh-so-"in" monsters of modern media.

Both of my middle-aged children are on FB, but I don't think they're "twits." I've refused to participate. They have my e-mail, my snail mail, and my phone number (though I dislike the telephone about as much as I dislike any communication device).

I think Jackie has an account on FB but she has no idea how to use it. (thankfully.)

Frankly, I like my privacy too well to participate, and don't believe a word of the assurances the FB people give us regarding us being able to protect whatever we want to protect. (Not that there's much privacy left anywhere in these Big Brother days when something as simple as Google can provide you with chapter and verse about almost anyone anywhere at any time.) I had a web search business in the relatively early days of the WWW, but it's downright scary these days what anyone with a telephone can dredge up about people today.

Progress ain't perfect.

And the recent gawdawful US political season is an indication of just how imperfect it has become; these new modes of communication have been coopted by the worst elements of society and you will have no way of knowing what is true and what is not from now on.

I can opt out, easily. I just tell folks I'm too effing old for that kind of crap.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnT on Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:48 am

I'm with Jim, when I retired I mulched my mobile phone as old customers were always ringing me up persuade me to come out of retirement. What? I was in one of the local shopping centres a few days ago when a young whipper-snapper insisted I really should participate in the latest mobile phone give-away. (Yes, right!!). You can ring up your wife and children at any time, says he.......he obviously hadn't been married for 46 years, and it was a blessing when the kids had all left home. Don't get me wrong, I still love my wife and kids and grandchildren, but to walk around with the phone glued to the side of my head is not my idea of paradise. My idea of paradise is to remove the hearing aids, turn off the phone and the TV and read a good book or fiddle with my remaining bonsai. With that off my chest, I feel better now. Time for my afternoon nap.

John T

JohnT

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:00 pm

Luddites LIVE!

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:49 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum