Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sowing seeds

4 posters

Go down

Sowing seeds Empty Sowing seeds

Post  capo_regime Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:44 am

Hello all!

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this topic but here it goes. Last year I bought somes seeds from 5 different acer palmatum cultivares. I did all the steps needed (stratification, etc..) to germinate the seeds and after 4 months in the freezer many of the seeds were already germinating. I put them in small pots with 1/3 gravel, 1/3 akadama and 1/3 garden soil. However only 3 grow up. I think it was because of fungus. These year I want to repete the experience with some acers and other kind of trees like prunus serrulata. However I want to minimize the danger from fungus. Is there any antifungal that I can use during the time the seeds stays in the freezer and in the soil when I pass them to a pot?

Thanx all....

capo_regime

Back to top Go down

Sowing seeds Empty Sowing Seeds

Post  bonsaisr Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:25 am

There are several fungicides that are used to prevent what we call damping-off, but you would have to ask at a nursery or garden center to find out what is available in Portugal, or do some fancy Googling.
Can you get fish emulsion fertilizer? A scientific study found that if you mix fish emulsion with your potting soil and leave it for a month, it greatly reduces harmful soil fungi.
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Sowing seeds Empty Re: Sowing seeds

Post  Klaudia & Martin Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:08 am

Hello Capo

My personal experience is that the gardensoil is the main "fault". This is the main reason for fungus.

I personally use a "lavalike" granulat, nothing extra.

Kind regards
Martin

Here is a pic from my acer.

[img]Sowing seeds Aussaa10[/img]
Klaudia & Martin
Klaudia & Martin

Back to top Go down

Sowing seeds Empty Re: Sowing seeds

Post  xuxumi Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:01 am

So great capture ! Nice pic !

xuxumi

Back to top Go down