Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Late fall elm

3 posters

Go down

Late fall elm  Empty Late fall elm

Post  Tom Simonyi Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:50 pm

Some late fall color...

Regards,
TomLate fall elm  U_carp15
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Late fall elm  Empty Late fall elm

Post  moyogijohn Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:26 pm

TOM,,That is a very good tree!! Good trunk..Was it a nursery tree cut down or from the woods?? anyway i like it a lot..take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Late fall elm  Empty Re: Late fall elm

Post  Tom Simonyi Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:46 pm

Hi, John...thanks...I am glad you like it. The tree was acquired several years ago from Keith Scott...I believe that it was collected by Keith and Kelly Adkins from Ohio. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Late fall elm  Empty late fall elm

Post  moyogijohn Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:55 pm

TOM,,,Thanks for the information,,,I wish i could find a tree like that down here... All i find is small ones that would take way too long to make a good tree... in this clay i can not get a good root ball any way...thanks john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  eightyninebonsai Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:32 am

That's an interesting pot. Is it a pot or a slab? Either way I like the composition; the usual bonsai pots don't always bring out the trees the best. Only thing I would suggest is to grow out the top to reduce the severity of the taper but that's personal preference I suppose.

eightyninebonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:15 am

Interesting pot and tree.

how old is the large wound on the trunk?
word of caution though, if I may, elms doesn't respond well to large cuts...be sure it heals well or you might end up losing the tree. be sure to protect it from excessive moist.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:21 pm

Eightynine: It is a slab of native sandstone that has been hollowed out. "Only thing I would suggest is to grow out the top to reduce the severity of the taper ......" - point well taken.

Jun: the wound you refer to is fairly old....I use a systemic fungicide twice a year which seems to have kept infection at bay.

Regards,
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:34 pm

Very nice tree Tom. I agree that the top needs some thickening but other than that, very fine indeed. I don't agree about the " wounds dont respond to large cuts"? I have a lot of Elms and they are full of hollows and callous really well. Preserving the deadwood is a problem though.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:57 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Will.. may I ask what your strategy is for preservation of deadwood areas on your elms...Thank you.

Regards,
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:33 pm

Internal deadwood is not such a problem and can be effectively treated with any manner of preserving oils on a regular basis. Linseed oil or teak oil are very good. Up to now, I have been treating external deadwood with a wet rot wood hardener. It has preserved the deadwood on one of my Elms for about 10 years but I noticed this year that some of the wood is getting a bit soft. There is a product I'm about to try called Parabaloid. It has been used in the preservation of ancient artefacts and several of the members here have started to use it. I will find out more and post again.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down