Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxwood Massacre 2010

5 posters

Go down

Boxwood Massacre 2010 Empty Boxwood Massacre 2010

Post  Russell Coker Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:42 pm

This morning I took my dog, Henry, with me to scrounge around for some fresh pine straw to mulch some beds at my house. We headed out to the piney hills on the south-west side of town, an area that was developed in the 40's and 50's. I noticed that the old highway patrol station was abandoned, so it looked like a good place to check out. I had always admired the big juniper out front anyway, so now I could get a good look.

When I drove around to the back of the building, I found this pile of carcasses...

Boxwood Massacre 2010 Boxwoo10

Someone had started at one end of the hedge with a chain saw and mowed down every one of them. I wanted to throw up, and Henry peed on them in disgust.

Check out a few of the "could have beens"...

Boxwood Massacre 2010 Boxwoo11

Boxwood Massacre 2010 Boxwoo12

Boxwood Massacre 2010 Boxwoo13

Boxwood Massacre 2010 Boxwoo14

Boxwood Massacre 2010 Boxwoo15

And here's the big juniper, they haven't gotten to it - yet.

Boxwood Massacre 2010 Boxwoo17

Needless to say, it was a dismal start to the day.

R

Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Boxwood Massacre 2010 Empty Boxwood Massacre 2010

Post  Guest Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:48 pm

What a pity Russel. Is there anyway you can gain permission for the Juniper? If its too big, it would make a fantastic garden tree.

Back to top Go down

Boxwood Massacre 2010 Empty Re: Boxwood Massacre 2010

Post  Harleyrider Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:56 pm

I agree with Will. You need to get permission to collect the big Juni before someone floors it. Even if it's too big for you and you don't fancy it in your garden, someone somewhere will be willing to give it a shot. Kerching!

Seriously though, how often has this happened to us? There's nothing worse than that feeling of what could have been. *slips a consoling arm around Russell's shoulder*
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:07 pm

Hi Russell

Yes, it's a pity, but because I already ran Juniper for permission or to repurchase or replacement. Several times I ran this for the trees, and mostly successfully. Good luck. ThumbsUp

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:45 am

Hi Russel,

unfortunately, this happens a lot down here in South Florida. You find that nice little potential digging area. You are inquiring about permits and before you know it they have bulldozed everything to the ground just to build one of those high volume trades at prices that are considerably at variance with intrinsic values.We also call them speculative manias or building bubbles..

Same thing happened by the way with the tulips in 1637:
Tulip mania or tulipomania was a period in the Dutch Golden Age during which contract prices for bulbs of the recently introduced tulip reached extraordinarily high levels and then suddenly collapsed. At the peak of tulip mania in February 1637, some single tulip bulbs sold for more than 10 times the annual income of a skilled craftsman. It is generally considered the first recorded speculative bubble (or economic bubble).
(Quote Wikipedia)

Ain’t that something..Boxwood Massacre 2010 Balloo10

-dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:24 am

Hi RUssell,
What a waste,other people go out of their way to preserve moyher nature & here comes the CARELESS,soon our children's children won't see what we have seen,same all over thw world,here in our country almost 95% are ILLEGAL,much worst here people care less,I hope someday they will be more responsible and get CAUGHT..thanks for sharing R...may it awaken us,,,

Till then,
Alex
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:40 am

Thanks Dorothy,

Sad thing is we've all seen it before, and God knows we'll see it again, unfortunately. These old boxwoods are so wonderful for our "live oak style", it's almost too easy. Check this out...

My oak...

Boxwood Massacre 2010 9-10_010

My almost boxwood...

Boxwood Massacre 2010 Boxwoo18

What more can you ask for than idiot-proof bonsai?

Here's one I had been working on, then the entire bottom half died. Crap!

Boxwood Massacre 2010 Dsc_7410

As for that juniper, guys, we have terrible luck digging those things, even smallish ones. This one is taller than me, and bigger around. In this sandy soil there is no way to get a decent ball, and all of the roots are a mile long. If time were no factor I could start doing some work to bring some feeder roots back in, but I don't see that happening. Even if I could get it out of the ground I don't know how I'd move it.

Russell
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down