Hypericum frondosum 'Sunburst'

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hypericum frondosum 'Sunburst'

Post  Ryan on Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:44 pm

Hey everyone,

Picked this up at my local nursery today. It was a whopping $10 (€7). I bought it becuase I really like the trunk on it. I googled it but couldn't find anything about bonsai on it. Anyone ever even heard of it? I will need to get growth closer in near the trunk of course, but it looks pretty cool, IMO. Thoughts?

P.S. This tree appears to be re-growing it's leaves. Almost as if it had dropped them earlier before. Anyone recommend me not letting this go into dormancy to allow it to regain strength?

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Re: Hypericum frondosum 'Sunburst'

Post  JimLewis on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:50 pm

Hypericum is St. John's Wort. It's supposed to have all kinds of health-food-nut properties, but none have been proven by any real science that I've seen. I've tried several as bonsai and haven't gotten them to survive past the first root pruning. All of mine were dug from the wild, though.

It will loose all its leaves (or leaflets) over the winter. Look for a lot of the branches to die back severely also.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan on Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:00 pm

JimLewis wrote:Hypericum is St. John's Wort. It's supposed to have all kinds of health-food-nut properties, but none have been proven by any real science that I've seen. I've tried several as bonsai and haven't gotten them to survive past the first root pruning. All of mine were dug from the wild, though.

It will loose all its leaves (or leaflets) over the winter. Look for a lot of the branches to die back severely also.

Thanks Jim!

You think I should let it drop it's leaves even though they are just coming out? And did you ever get backbud when you pruned it?

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:52 pm

Yes and yes

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis on Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:49 am

I would just heal the tree in for the Winter, in mulch or cold frame, and let nature take its course. I like the trunk too!

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan on Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:10 am

Great thank you both! I'll just place it in my unheated garage for the winter.

I like the trunk too! That was a major reason I bought it.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

ryans hypericum

Post  robert gardner on Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:55 am

Great looking trunk bet you can't wait until the bark peels.
I just picked up a ypericum androsaemum Seifire. Itg has a twisted twin trunk and I am going to Bonsai it
this coming winter, also I will soon be in the process of creating a triple trunk Paperbark maple.
Love tour plant keep the soil moist but not waterlogged. You should have no problem with
your hypericum back budding with late winter pruning.
GOOD LUCK
Bob G.

robert gardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:09 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum