Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overwintering a weak Azalea...

2 posters

Go down

Overwintering a weak Azalea... Empty Overwintering a weak Azalea...

Post  DreadyKGB Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:01 pm

Hey all,
I am just looking for ideas for overwintering this azalea I bought. I bought it from one of my favorite nurseries which was going out of business and it cost around $7. I really liked the exposed roots and think that it has some decent potential. I bought a couple of trees/shrubs to work with next season but I wish now that I had bought more, at 80-90% off the prices were unbeatable. Anyway this azalea was weak when I bought it and I really hope it survives the winter. Any suggestions? Sheltered ground or shed with window?

Overwintering a weak Azalea... P1010011

Overwintering a weak Azalea... P1010012

Thanks
Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Overwintering a weak Azalea... Empty Re: Overwintering a weak Azalea...

Post  MIKEB Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:18 pm

if you got it at a nursery going out of business then it was probably being neglected and got dry. but first thing, i am not sure its an azela, looks more like an indian hawthorne to me. if it is an azelea, then i dont think it will like the cold you have in IL so i would protect it at night. they dont like hot blazing sun either, partial sun is better. either way i would baby it but still not sure about being an azelea even if the label says it is.

MIKEB

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:57 pm

Mike,
It is definitely an azalea and it is a hardy variety, "white lights" if i remember correctly. I have had it since August, and it had definitely been neglected. I'm just not sure of the best way to take care of it through the winter. Thanks for the help.

Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down